• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Boat Wrap Suggestions

grafikguy

President
We have a large boat that we are creating a wrap for. I know it is difficult to work with the design once it approaches the bow. Does anyone have any tips on how to compensate for that bend in the initial design work and then as we do the install?

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
I have designed the curve in the past by laying a flat strip of sheet metal along the rub rail and seeing how much drop it creates and where it starts. It is difficult to get it perfect, so in the past I have had one person "steering" the vinyl, one person moving heat around, and then me squeeging when I didn't have the curve perfect.

jaylem

We have a large boat that we are creating a wrap for. I know it is difficult to work with the design once it approaches the bow. Does anyone have any tips on how to compensate for that bend in the initial design work and then as we do the install?

You need to build a pattern. When you flatten the pattern will should find that work area swoops down progressively as you get closer to the bow. As you install the graphic the downward swoop actually pulls in towards the nose of the bow. The inverse is correct for the wrap above the rub rail. I would call Dave at Auroragraphics.net. They did some artwork for me on a shark boat. I'm sure he'll remember, his son did a great job on a bad a$$ tiger shark.

You can make a cheap pattern with transfer tape. Just get you a 24" roll or bigger and lay it on there as best you can. Then trace out the rough outline with a marker. Peel it, lay on the table or floor, and get the measurements you need.

boxerbay

crystal is correct. use transfer tape and skin the boat. use a sharpie to outline the edge. carefully remove the transfer tape in one piece. reapply transfer tape to a wall. photograph it centered at 90' then open that in illustrator. dont be tight on the bleed.

signguy35

For this one I just went halfway and did a fade. It was pretty flat on the back but right where the fade started it got funky. Worked pretty good. Cheaper option than full design and customer loved it.
c706de5262c94671a862c32ef66c1316.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Wraptek

Check this out. I usually pull vertical measurements every 4 feet depending on the bow flare. If there is a big bow flare i will pull vertical measurements every 2 feet. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• BOAT WRAP CONTENDER.jpg
    BOAT WRAP CONTENDER.jpg
    963.3 KB · Views: 261