• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Boat wrap

Copierguy

So plenty of boat wraps out on the lake and been wrapping for 7 years tractor trailers to smart cars but never a boat . My Avery rep said stay away . What material are you using on boats ? And how long has it stayed looking good ? Love to hear all tips and recommendations. Thanks Steve mstechz

LX480mcv3
Always wrap above the static waterline.
Boats are a breeze, or all the fishing guide boats I have done were, at least. I wrapped one in a fish scale print 5-6 years ago and it still looks great. I haven't seen any of the others since wrapping them, but I also have not heard any complaints.
Sometimes I have to do body work(bondo and copious amounts of sanding), which is not ideal, but I charge for the labor, so, more money.
C.R.E.A.M. Get the money. Dolla-dolla bills yawl

Last edited:

zstekovic

I wrapped sailboat in Croatia (read: extreme UV, no moisture in air half of the year). Lasted five years looking good, six more changed color to black (physically burned)… We used MacTac at the time. If you apply it well (correctly) and finishing is done meticulously you should not have the problem. Note, do not use latex printer for this, as lamination will “float” on the surface (at leas on 3xx series and earlier).

Attachments

• 1514.jpeg
    1514.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 55

somcalmetim

Only touched Avery vinyl once in 25+ years since their red fell off close to 100 Laidlaw trailers done by another company in the area when I first started...
Used 3M IJ180 for all truck/trailers/boats with 7+ years road life and cleanly removable when done...
To be fair I had one customer insist I use an Avery Grey metallic on one truck stripe and it was the thinnest, most fragile vinyl I have ever used...
We use all 3M Ij180, 3M 1j180 silver to print or 3M 1080 or 2080 for solid colors with no problems...best part is the air release adhesive for super fast smooth installs but the removable adhesive is a close second...
We used to do alot of removals as well so if the Avery or old gerber metallics didnt fall off they usually did not come off...or not without a rubber wheel...anything newer 3M comes off like a dream...

unclebun

Only touched Avery vinyl once in 25+ years since their red fell off close to 100 Laidlaw trailers done by another company in the area when I first started...
Used 3M IJ180 for all truck/trailers/boats with 7+ years road life and cleanly removable when done...
To be fair I had one customer insist I use an Avery Grey metallic on one truck stripe and it was the thinnest, most fragile vinyl I have ever used...
We use all 3M Ij180, 3M 1j180 silver to print or 3M 1080 or 2080 for solid colors with no problems...best part is the air release adhesive for super fast smooth installs but the removable adhesive is a close second...
We used to do alot of removals as well so if the Avery or old gerber metallics didnt fall off they usually did not come off...or not without a rubber wheel...anything newer 3M comes off like a dream...
It's not Avery vs. 3M. It's permanent cast sign vinyl vs. removable cast vinyl (ij180). Or vs. 7 mil wrap (removable) vinyl.

somcalmetim

Nah, unforch the Avery that fell off was supposed to be perm and the very thin brittle vinyl was supposed to be their "Supreme Wrapping Film".

unclebun

Well, your experience is much different from mine. I've used Avery vinyls the whole time I've been working in the industry (over 30 years) and never had their vinyl, HP or intermediate, just fall off.

I don't do color wrapping material much but when I have used it, it feels thick to me.

somcalmetim

Well, your experience is much different from mine. I've used Avery vinyls the whole time I've been working in the industry (over 30 years) and never had their vinyl, HP or intermediate, just fall off.

I don't do color wrapping material much but when I have used it, it feels thick to me.

Glad to hear it, redoing a 100 trailers almost killed our competitor 25+ years ago.
Avery SW900 series might feel thick if that is all you have ever used....but you just have to pull up the vinyl spec sheets to show Avery SW900 is a 3.2 material while 3M 1080/2080 is a thicker 3.5 that doesn't behave as brittlely as Avery.
Avery does have more metallics to choose from, 3M comes out with a nice chart and then starts to discontinue colors almost immediately. Unfortunately last year a customer wanted sparkley gold and neither Avery or 3M had any gold metallic to sell.