• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Boat Wrapping problem with cleaning boat.

biggmann

I have a boat at the shop here we are wrapping with 3M 1080 and are cleaning it like we would any other vehicle with alcohol but there is a white powder that keeps coming off as we clean and it seems never ending, is there a better way to get this thing prepped for film?

letterman7

Fiberglass, right? That's oxidation. You'll need to completely wash the boat very well, scrub it clean, then follow up with your alcohol treatment. Might take two, three or more applications of cleaner to remove all the oxidation. Or, send it to a detailer to have the entire hull compounded.

heyskull

I have had this issue with Old Fibreglass Panels.
It is a ball ache to clean as it is the top gel coat crumbling due to age and oxidation
Rather than spend hours and hours trying to get it to a state were you can apply wrap.
I would get the client to send it to a paint shop to be re-painted or cut back to a gloss finish.

Please emphasise to the client, that as every wrap job, the application is as only good as what you are applying it too.

Don't do this job until it is right or you will end up paying the cost for a client blaming your material, when in fact it was his substrate that caused the issue.

SC

We do a lot of boat wraps, and get this periodically. We just found it easier either to call a mobile boat detailer, who will use a high speed buffer and compound or oxidation remover to buff it clean. This is paid by the customer. Or we do it ourselves with a buffer, and then charge it to the customer. It really isn't that difficult to do. Depending on the size boat, can take an hour or two.

biggmann

Thanks for the input on this, I have called the customer and we have a mobile detailer coming in to do his part then we will try again.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
We had so many problems with boats and box trucks. We had the best luck with pressure washing it. Get some Degreaser 88 from home depot or any other degreaser. ( some degreasers needs to be diluted!). Get a big soft brush and scrub the boat real good. Wash it off and then wipe it down with alcohol.
It's easy.

You will make a lot of mess while washing it. The floor will be white. Make sure you wash it somewhere where you won't get in trouble for it.

DirtyD

Kinda off topic but when you wrap boats how do you get the correct angle of the boat going upto the hull.

I did a partial boat wrap and when trying to make it strat going up to the hull I had to either shoot the graphics straight up and end it short or cut and splice

Thanks

Kinda off topic but when you wrap boats how do you get the correct angle of the boat going upto the hull.

I did a partial boat wrap and when trying to make it strat going up to the hull I had to either shoot the graphics straight up and end it short or cut and splice

Thanks

Do you mean how do you keep it straight going up to the bow? I am not sure what you mean about the straight up and end it short? I think you mean as you get towards the bow, the vinyl likes to rise up with the angle of the bow, and you end up short on the bottom? Is that what you are referring to?

DirtyD

Do you mean how do you keep it straight going up to the bow? I am not sure what you mean about the straight up and end it short? I think you mean as you get towards the bow, the vinyl likes to rise up with the angle of the bow, and you end up short on the bottom? Is that what you are referring to?

Yes that is what I meant - sorry