• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Boat Wrapping

Xcesiv

I have my first boat wrap quote to do and i would love some guidance if possible

some quick questions, im sure there is topics i have missed, so any advice would be appreciated.

1) Is wrapping a boat any different to wrapping a car?
2) Do you need different materials or anything when wrapping a boat?
3) Do you use primers or edge sealers on the boat

The boat i am quoting on is a "Tige 1997 20I"

Any advice would be appreciated

thanks

Not much different than wrapping anything else. We wrap a lot of boats, 2 just this week. Definitely do in 1 piece on each side, I have seen some done in panels. We have used Arlen, Avery, 3M, and oracal. I would not suggest using the Avery 1005 ez RS, it never seems to tack up enough. The plain 1005ez is better for boats. The Arlon 6000xrp works well, but our favorite is the oracal 3951. It prints beautifully, and goes on very well. We have used the 3751 one also with great success. We just got back from Florida last week and did a 37 foot boat with 3751 and it turned out very good. We prime using all vinyls except the oracal, and ALWAY edge seal. We prefer the liquid sealer, but some people just use strips of laminate on the edges. We tape up the print where it's going to go, then start pulling the liner away, keeping the vinyl tight and wrinkle free. Usually you can touch it to the bump rail and the under side of the boat, and most of the side will stay off the boat slightly. We remove the entire liner then start squeegeing. If your not sure enough you can do it this way, just peel a little back at a time and work it back to front. They go very quickly once you get the hang of it. A boat like that, about 2-3 hous of work prepping, applying, and trimming. Many people trim the wrap about 1/2"-1" up the side from the bottom to make sure there is a good spot for the sealer to adhere to.