• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Boat wrapping

OCsteve

Anybody wrap a fiberglass boat? What vinyl would you suggest? Avery has a marine vinyl but we have never done one before.

tanneji

We have actually used controltac. We do some of the BassMasters boats though and they are redone every year so we don't get to test longevity.

XGSSDT

You should not use control Tac or any other "air regress vinyl". These can let moister in from the water and you will have failure. I would suggest using a cast that is conformable (3951 as example). But would check into the fact that it is going on Fiberglass. That may require a different material altogether and can not think of it off the top of my head. (Used on snowmobiles with fiberglass I believe) And not sure if that material will hold up in water.

Dan

grafixemporium

3M ControlTac 180c version 3 is approved for marine use.

We use it all the time on salt water and fresh water boats. Make sure the surface is clean. Make sure all the edges are well primed with 3M Primer 94. Make sure to edge seal all exposed edges with clear strips and/or Edge Sealer. Install your vinyl in one long horizontal panel whenever possible rather than vertical strips (like wallpaper).

There are pics of a few boats we've done up on our website... gfxwraps.com.

Mosh

You should not use control Tac

3M 180C is designed for marine applications and it is a controltac. Frank Fellers would not stear you wrong. 3M IJ180C laminated with 8520 for boats!

AllSquare Jason

Frank Fellers would not stear you wrong.
Quote of the year!!

I have several customers having success with the Arlon 6000X (not the XRP) on boat applications. As stated above, if you use a non air egress vinyl that would be ideal - however not the easiest to install.

grafixemporium

There's nothing wrong with using an air egress product on a boat... as long as it's 3M 180c v3 :)

Really though, we do a lot of tournament bay boats. Those things are flying across the bay at 60-70mph. We have not had one problem. Just prime all the edges and make sure they are sealed. The air egress is actually more beneficial on boats because it ensures your installation leaves no bubbles that can work their way to the edge of the wrap and leave an opening for water.

AllSquare Jason

POST HEATING IS YOUR FRIEND. Most air egress channels are designed to 'collapse' when heated.

There are areas of a boat that are under extreme pressure from water - but with a proper install - I really think any brand name cast wrap material will do the trick.

OCsteve

This is a great site. Thank you for all your help. I will do my best to help out whenever I can contribute useful suggestions. I have had my designers, production manager and installer all become members so they can contribute as needed.