• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bonding Copper Sheet to PVC Backer?

Anybody ever have good results with a particular adhesive for bonding copper sheet to plastic... specifically PVC sheet? I would like to router cut some letters from the resulting material. I was about to use contact cement when I read the specs on the can (I know...who does that???) :) It specifically stated not for use on copper. I've got a few ideas but what could be better than 'been there done that'

J Hill Designs

mactac IB2107 laminating sheets

the TONG FONG LOW lettering is 100% copper on black pvc polished then router cut

Attachments

• IMGP0392.jpg
    IMGP0392.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Thanks for the advice (and humor...)

Sweet - thanks...I will take a look at getting that or similar. No problems with the mist coolant required for the copper cutting acting to break down the adhesive - or did you assemble the two materials after routing?

SignManiac

Make sure you use an adhesive that can expand and contract. Copper sheet, assuming you are talking about metal, will move at a different rate than the PVC. I glued some aluminum angle using PL Construction adhesive which has never failed me before, to ACS and two weeks later received a call that all four pieces were on the ground. The temperature got really cold and the stuff just popped off.

Do some testing no matter what you use to adhere it to.

rfulford

I used GBC Arctic mount to apply 220 sheets of .032 aluminum to 10mm black PVC. It worked quite well. Expect to be shocked when handling the material. If by chance you intend to print on this with a flatbed printer, HAVE AN OPERATOR KEEP A HAND ON THE MATERIAL AT ALL TIMES. The motion of the carriage can cause static discharges into the head assembly.