Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bonding Copper Sheet to PVC Backer?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Caliber Sign Guy, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Caliber Sign Guy

Caliber Sign Guy Member

Sep 19, 2012
    United States
    Anybody ever have good results with a particular adhesive for bonding copper sheet to plastic... specifically PVC sheet? I would like to router cut some letters from the resulting material. I was about to use contact cement when I read the specs on the can (I know...who does that???) :) It specifically stated not for use on copper. I've got a few ideas but what could be better than 'been there done that'

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    mactac IB2107 laminating sheets

the TONG FONG LOW lettering is 100% copper on black pvc polished then router cut

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  3. Moze

Moze Precision Sign Services

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    that that that that that that that that that that

:clapping:

4. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  5. Caliber Sign Guy

Caliber Sign Guy Member

Sep 19, 2012
    United States
    Thanks for the advice (and humor...)

Sweet - thanks...I will take a look at getting that or similar. No problems with the mist coolant required for the copper cutting acting to break down the adhesive - or did you assemble the two materials after routing?

6. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    assembled prior to routing. no need for coolant IMO

7. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    Make sure you use an adhesive that can expand and contract. Copper sheet, assuming you are talking about metal, will move at a different rate than the PVC. I glued some aluminum angle using PL Construction adhesive which has never failed me before, to ACS and two weeks later received a call that all four pieces were on the ground. The temperature got really cold and the stuff just popped off.

Do some testing no matter what you use to adhere it to.

8. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
  9. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
  10. rfulford

rfulford Active Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Orlando
    I used GBC Arctic mount to apply 220 sheets of .032 aluminum to 10mm black PVC. It worked quite well. Expect to be shocked when handling the material. If by chance you intend to print on this with a flatbed printer, HAVE AN OPERATOR KEEP A HAND ON THE MATERIAL AT ALL TIMES. The motion of the carriage can cause static discharges into the head assembly.

11. Caliber Sign Guy

Caliber Sign Guy Member

Sep 19, 2012
    United States
    Thanks everyone for their input...I'm testing and exploring a couple of different options. So far no good.... :)