• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bondo Alumalite Edges?

kirkbedtelyon

Anybody ever fill the edges of an Alumalite corogated sheet with bondo then sand flush and paint?

Anybody ever epoxy edge cap moldings onto the sides of Alumalite?

I'm looking for alternative edge treatments for an Alumalite wall mount sign (no frame). I've had problems with the 3/8' edge caps changing shape / popping off from 10mm panels.

Thanks.

Eric H

Bondo is a bad idea I can't imagine it would stick too well, use one of the solid core materials and save yourself the time and grief.

kirkbedtelyon

Bondo is a bad idea I can't imagine it would stick too well, use one of the solid core materials and save yourself the time and grief.

The sign is 5' x 8'. I'm not finding an aluminum skin or vinyl skin solid core product that's at least 3/8" thick and 5' x 8'.

Suggestions?

Billct2

We have some aluminum edge cap that works on alumalite.
More often if we don't want to see the coro core we use Phenoseal paintable caulk, but usually just use black and leave it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Never heard of doing any of the things you mentioned. Basically because they don't make sense.

This thread is a little like another thread here going on about Cor-X not lasting long.

If you people are selling the wrong substrate for the job, why are you looking for methods or ways of polishing a turd ??

If you want aluminum to not have an edge, then use REAL aluminum. Now, you have a choice to bend it over and create a nice return or just buy the substrate thick enough so you don't need to do anything other than paint it.

Alumalite and all the other composite aluminums are a cheap way out of buying aluminum sheets. Wanna make something cheap look good, try giving the customer all the choices and let them decide not to go with the expensive thicker aluminum sheets and then you don't have to worry about aesthetics of lesser grade items.

Edna

Can't you use 4.40 alumnium and bend a lip on your brake to make it
look 3/8 thick. This is how my man does race car bodys. Then yo could
glue stifofoam on the back to make it ridgid.

WOW, my 100th blue post, you are one lucky man!

kirkbedtelyon

If you people are selling the wrong substrate for the job, why are you looking for methods or ways of polishing a turd ??

Thanks Gino, Don't get yer pantys in a bunch...This sign is for an airplane hanger. Nothing fancy. Just looking for an inexpensive way to make the edge of panel look a little cleaner. And I found it.

Jillbeans

I think Bondo would pop right out if the sign bowed when you were delivering or installing it.
Love....Jill