• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Book Review: Inside Sign Design: How to Design Interior and Exterior Signage

CentralSigns

Thanks Rick adds to the list of other good reads you did. Maybe Chatterbox should set down his attitude and read to get better.:U Rock:

signmeup

I have read the free pages that were posted on his site. The book is obviously self published with lots of odd sentence structure and typos but it does seem like good information for the most part. It does make some solid points about graphic designers vs. sign designers.
A comment about Asians taking jobs away from the US was bit off-putting in the way it was worded. That sort of politics should be left out of an instructional book IMHO. The book is clearly aimed at the US market.....almost like no other parts of the world exist.

neato

The book is full of great info on sign designing. Although, to be honest, it is written by someone with a creative mind. It tends to jump all over the place. It isn't organized that well. Nothing that some editing won't help. But the info is really great. I've learned a lot from it.

The author definitely has knowledge of sign design. Maybe not an eye for color or layout. But he knows the sign industry, materials and fabrication techniques well.

I don't know what to say about the recent posts. I can only hope that some sort of an explanation is given, for the author's own sake. It is sad when someone allows ego to cloud their perspective and ignore opportunities to take constructive criticism.

CES020

There are some very strange things on that website, in my opinion. There is a list of "clients" followed by a list that shows acronyms next to the names. If you look at what they stand for, they stand for :

Not a Client
No Longer a Client
Not in Business

How is someone that's a Client, on your client list, "not a client". I'm sure there's a logical explanation, but the wording on all of that is very very odd. Not something I'd want to see on a website for someone I'm hiring.

Also, on the ADA example he posted, in my understanding of the code that sign does not meet ADA code, yet on the website, he says that people need to know what ADA is and what materials are used.

Maybe I'm missing something, or misreading the code itself.

signmeup

I thought the client list thing was pretty odd too. I could write a pretty long list of impressive clients I don't have.....or that I've lost, but I fail to see the point.

Jillbeans

I am sorry, even if Rick recommends this book.
After reading the maunderings of its author today, I would not take it even if it was free and included a Whitman's Sampler and a 10# Honey Baked Ham.
Love....Jill

Flame

I am sorry, even if Rick recommends this book.
After reading the maunderings of its author today, I would not take it even if it was free and included a Whitman's Sampler and a 10# Honey Baked Ham.
Love....Jill

You had me until the ham. I might do it if there was ham involved. mmmmmmmm :clapping: