• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Books for Newbies

misterwizard

I saw that Mastering Layout: On the Art of Eye Appeal is recommended for newbies. I was just wondering if there are other titles also recommended. For instance, I was looking at one from Signs of the Times called Getting Started in the Sign Business. Any input on that one?

There are several others that look interesting.

Vinyl Sign Techniques
Create Your Own Sign Making Business
How to Estimate and Price Signs

Thanks for your input.

Gabe

wes70

Mastering Layout and Ninety-Nine Showcards by Mike Stevens. Also, you should get Logo Design 1 & 2 by non other than our regular forum contributer, Dan Antonelli.

misterwizard

Mastering Layout and Ninety-Nine Showcards by Mike Stevens. Also, you should get Logo Design 1 & 2 by non other than our regular forum contributer, Dan Antonelli.

Thanks for those titles. I haven't heard of them, so let me ask what will 99 Showcards tell me? And what will the Logo Design books teach me?

Not knocking them in any way. Just would like to hear your take on why they belong on my bookshelf.

Cheers,

Gabe

FatCat

Honestly, any book that teaches layout or design principles will be a big help if you've never had formal art or design education. One of the biggest downfalls of any new sign shop is probably lack of skills on the front end.

Any monkey can be trained to work a plotter, printer, weed vinyl, etc. However, without knowing how to design something that looks appealing to the eye it means nothing.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
It might help to know...

What type of signs and design are you going to start doing? and what type of work will you be doing in the future?

and

What do you want out of the book? step by steps, lot of pics/inspiration, general information?

JR's

Honestly, any book that teaches layout or design principles will be a big help if you've never had formal art or design education. One of the biggest downfalls of any new sign shop is probably lack of skills on the front end.

Any monkey can be trained to work a plotter, printer, weed vinyl, etc. However, without knowing how to design something that looks appealing to the eye it means nothing.

:thumb::thumb: :goodpost:

JR

misterwizard

I agree. That's why I'm buying Mastering Layout. I'm just fishing for opinions. Let me demonstrate the depth of my ignorance. What is a "showcard"? I'm starting at square -1, so I have a lot to learn. I understand that the logo books will show me logo designs, but will that be especially helpful?

Well, I've seen some pretty dumb monkeys, so I am inclined to disagree. Maybe most monkeys, but I am sure I know of one or two that are untrainable. Still I do agree with the primary point - a lack of skill or talent in art will definitely hurt a sign maker's business.

Jim Doggett

I agree with others on design!!! Usually the sign a of a novice new sign company in town is the poor-looking and ineffective signage that shows up. So templates can help. Check out MR Clipart, and others.

For some tips on using equipment and basic techniques, we have some online videos that can help:

http://www.signwarehouse.com/tv/ (check the categories on the right)

Good luck and Welcome!!

Jim