• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Boots on the ground marketing?

aard

I have been in business 28 years, my first year I tried this and I got nothing from it, waste of time. Do great work and your work sells you. I think it took 3 years before I could take a regular pay check.
Also been in business about 28-30 years.
When I started on my own, I would find a busy looking company with an old (usually crappy) and or broken sign. I would then bring in a mockup printout, made on Corel 4ish. They didn't get to keep the copy without a deposit and I had a price ready... I got jobs. About 40% of the time they went for it.... 60% free design work but better than 0% jobs.

BlueRoseAuto

I found that doing research on the companies and just mailing them a promo box was the way to get their attention. Big companies. we would include screen printed t shirt, a 6"x6" printed banner , pens and so on with our info and then a 6"x4" list of our services. We would mail out about 5 a month, our cost was under $20 and it works

John Miller

Choose a local sign that is in rough shape. Take a photo, then do a slick design and superimpose it over the bad sign. Print the current sign next to the new one.
Above the two pictures put a phrase like Which business would you trust? or something like that. Mail it to them or drop it off. This works but it requires work.
A restaurant or diner, where would you stop to eat. etc.

Doing some boots-on-the-ground marketing in your local industrial area can be really effective. I did something similar when starting out—dropping off brochures and introducing myself to local businesses worked well for me. It’s a personal touch that often gets noticed. Also, investing in luxury business cards might be worth considering. I used them for my own small business, and they really made an impression on potential clients. They’re a bit more memorable and professional, which can help you stand out in a sea of competition.

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Doing some boots-on-the-ground marketing in your local industrial area can be really effective. I did something similar when starting out—dropping off brochures and introducing myself to local businesses worked well for me. It’s a personal touch that often gets noticed. Also, investing in luxury business cards might be worth considering. I used them for my own small business, and they really made an impression on potential clients. They’re a bit more memorable and professional, which can help you stand out in a sea of competition.
Thanks AI bot for your super insight perspective.

JBurton

Signtologist
Luxury business cards are strictly for psychopaths and their coke snorting associates
And pedophiles. One wouldn't imagine that such folk have needs for advertising. nvm, that's too dark. A bunch of crooks over there at https://www.elegantepress.com/business-cards/luxury/ is all I know. Also, they have no quality assurance, they misspelled my dogs last name, then the business card gave my customers paper cuts, which then got infected with legionnaires. It was a horrible experience, 5/7, do not recommend.