• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bordeaux Ink from N Glantz. Good or Bad? Why?

BargainSigns

Seasons Greetings everyone! We are contemplating switching from our Mimaki factory inks to the "Bordeaux" ink that N Glantz is selling. Anyone have any experience good or bad with this ink?

Thanks!
Marianna

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Bordeaux has been around for a long time. not sure about how it will run thru the printer in particular. I have a roland with Sericol inks and im getting decent results. make sure though you have it outlined on paper as to how they determine bad ink or if a problem was caused by ink or maintainence...wear and tear...etc. Thats about all I can say.
Most likely you will have to re-profile or download new profiles from Bordeaux for your media as well.

CS-SignSupply

We have several clients with the Mimaki JV3's using our ink from STS Inks, cartridge and bulk liters. Bordeaux is shipped in and be-packaged by many ink suppliers. Even got a box with Bordeaux labels on it from another popular brand name ink.

Give us a call if you have questions.

TheSnowman

I bought Bordeaux from Fellers about 4 years ago I think, and never looked back. Had no profile issues, can't tell a THING about them not being OEM inks. The smell may be a little more, I don't really know. All I know is, I'm now getting my inks for $77.43 each, instead of $109.12 and that's over $250 savings when you take it times eight cartridges. By the way, 6+ years later, haven't done anything more than normal wear and tear replacement. Just replaced the pumps twice, and one damper. That's it.

BargainSigns

?

Thanks for your reply but I'm slower than the average bear sometimes. Please explain your your post. Bordeaux is packaged for differently for different suppliers?

CS-SignSupply

Bordeaux, like many other manufacturers, will sell product to be re-branded or packaged by a different label.

many vinyl manufacturers do this as well... Who makes the Brightline, ShineRite materials for Fellers and Grimco?? Many of us know.

Bly

I've been running Bordeaux in our Rolands for a couple of years now - no problems apart from occasionally the cart runs out without telling the printer.
My printer tech said they have fixed this in new carts.
He also said the heads are showing less wear than OEM inks.

ChicagoGraphics

If your going to make the switch to 3rd party inks I wouldn't fuss with the cartridges, go full bulk and pay $70.00 per liter instead of 70.00 dollars per cart.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
This is not always as simple as it seems. There are other things that come into play when going to a bulk system that can greatly affect your machine in the long run which I learned from experience on our older JV3. These machine are greatly affected by the pressure of the ink - in other words if the ink is physically feeding from higher than the original cartridge slots it will have greater pressure and can cause dripping at the heads, lower can cause ink starvation since the pumps cannot pump it uphill fast enough. Another issue can be air nearly dissolved in the ink at higher than normal levels which can cause problems with print heads running hot, overspray, etc as the air comes out of solution when heated in the head.

Not trying to discourage anyone - most newer bulk systems have had improvements that address the pressure problems with things like floats in the dummy cartridges to regulate the level and prevent overpressuring and/or starving the ink system. I think many also now tell you to pour fresh ink into the tanks very slowly and warn against shaking the bottles etc to prevent excessive bubbles.. of course there is always the risk of spills but with care that should not be a problem but out of many dozens of bulk systems I've seen over the years they inevitably all have ink on the outside of the tanks as well as inside.

That being said - if you have the volume then bulk is the way to go and can really cut your costs once you overcome the cost of the bulk system itself which will usually run from $500 to over $1500 with the tanks, dummy carts, permanent chips, etc. And again - the newer bulk systems are greatly improved over the older ones and do work great. Some of the older ones you literally had to adjust the hight of the tanks almost daily to keep the pressure right. I think "fuss" is the wrong term below for cartrdiges - they would be the least amount of "fuss" since you simply plug them in. We do use Triangle JVV cartridges in our JV33 machine but I am planning on switching it over to a bulk system due to the volume we are running on that machine (averaging 20 or so cartridges a month!).

I just want other to be cautioned that bulk is not for everyone. If you do go to a bulk system make sure you get one from through an authorized dealer of a well known and proven brand like Solaris, Bordeax, Triangle, etc and be sure they are giving you the most current type bulk system and not trying to offload some of the older type units. Personally I think if you are not using more than a full set of cartridges a month then you are probably better off sticking with cartridges - aftermarket ones that is.

If your going to make the switch to 3rd party inks I wouldn't fuss with the cartridges, go full bulk and pay $70.00 per liter instead of 70.00 dollars per cart.

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
I have been using the Bordeaux inks for the JV33 for a couple of years with great results. They had an issue with the chips not registering in the machine but no problem in the last 6 months. I would recommend them.

MikePro

no issues with bordeaux here aside from the noticeably more pungent solvent odor.
not an understatement, its just a couple notches below nauseating.

prints great, we hot-swapped when we changed over, and printed great for 2 years before we changed back to OEM when a printhead failed and everyone wanted to blame the ink (printhead was 6years old at this point, with plenty of miles on it)