• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bordeaux Prime Eco Ink VS. Roland Ink Vs. Warrenty

ronl1975

Will Bordeaux Prime Eco Ink (Fellers) ruin my 2 year warrenty on the VP540 or should I stick with the higher priced Roland inks ? Thanks !

InkjetAuction

Tech's Viewpoint

I'm not a lawyer...I don't work for Roland... but I am a field service engineer for one of the largest Roland dealers in the country. So here are my thoughts...

The VP-540 comes with a one year limited warranty.
Roland will extend the warranty for an additional year (for a total of two years) if:

1. You register within 90 days of purchasing the printer
  2. You use Roland OEM inks exclusively and continuously throughout the two-year warranty period
Roland may ask for you to prove your continuous exclusive use of Roland ink (via invoices), should you need warranty service during the second year. The machine keeps track of ink usage, # times cartridges are replaced, # times ink out, etc.

Roland relies on the field service folks and the dealers to help keep everyone honest.

Now as far as warranty on the ink system when using a non-OEM ink... this can become a subject of great debate. It is my understanding that Roland will not provide a warranty for the ink system on any printer (under warranty) if it has been found to be used with non-OEM inks.

I see OEM and 3rd party inks being used out there... most shops use the Roland ink. Truth be told, I almost never see a ink system problem due to 3rd party inks... but when there is a problem, it's messy (costly). I personally have never seen an ink system problem because of bad Roland ink-- but I know that it has happened out there.

I can tell you this as a large dealer....if I were to ever see an ink system problem because of bad Roland ink in a non-warrantied machine... I'm certain that I'd be able to get Roland to cover any damage on MY customer's machine.

For what it's worth...

~E

nesscoben

If nothing more, its piece of mind, sleeping sound at night knowing your printer is covered by the folks that made it. Although "E" works for my competitor, I cant dispute a word. Just stay on your side of the street! :goodpost:

Keep warm "E", this weather is nutz!

QuickSignsSA

Could it be because of your Screen Name, InkjetAuction??? LOL. Be kinda cool to know which distributor or dealer you work for, feel free to send a pm if you dont want to go public.

InkjetAuction

Secret Squirrel

Ben, can I have the warmer side of the street? LOL

I'm Ernie and I'm not here to promote the NJ-based company I work for... just myself.

I've been in the sign & graphics business for a few years...and have the scars to prove it.

Just here to watch, listen, learn... and chirp in when I can offer some insight.

~E

InkjetAuction

Bordeaux Ink Cartridge Problem?

By chance...

I just helped out a signs101 member who is having a problem with running Bordeaux inks. There apparently was a problem with his yellow cartridge not tripping the "ink out" sensor...and the "chip" on the cartridge apparently did not work well either.

So he ran it dry, and introduced air into the line.

An easy enough fix... if you know how to deal with it.
He didn't and spent the better part of a day hard down.

~E

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I'm not a lawyer...I don't work for Roland... but I am a field service engineer for one of the largest Roland dealers in the country. So here are my thoughts...

The VP-540 comes with a one year limited warranty.
Roland will extend the warranty for an additional year (for a total of two years) if:

1. You register within 90 days of purchasing the printer
  2. You use Roland OEM inks exclusively and continuously throughout the two-year warranty period
Roland may ask for you to prove your continuous exclusive use of Roland ink (via invoices), should you need warranty service during the second year. The machine keeps track of ink usage, # times cartridges are replaced, # times ink out, etc.

Roland relies on the field service folks and the dealers to help keep everyone honest.

Now as far as warranty on the ink system when using a non-OEM ink... this can become a subject of great debate. It is my understanding that Roland will not provide a warranty for the ink system on any printer (under warranty) if it has been found to be used with non-OEM inks.

I see OEM and 3rd party inks being used out there... most shops use the Roland ink. Truth be told, I almost never see a ink system problem due to 3rd party inks... but when there is a problem, it's messy (costly). I personally have never seen an ink system problem because of bad Roland ink-- but I know that it has happened out there.

I can tell you this as a large dealer....if I were to ever see an ink system problem because of bad Roland ink in a non-warrantied machine... I'm certain that I'd be able to get Roland to cover any damage on MY customer's machine.

For what it's worth...

~E

They may be able to separate the "Printer" as a whole and the "Ink System" when speaking of coverage under a warranty but apparently they cannot void the 1 year warranty if you use a 3rd party ink...LEGALLY.
I quote the recently published info from Frank...

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Improvement Act
Sherman and Clayton Antitrust Act

According to those "legal" presidences...they cannot "force" you to buy thier brand of inks with the threat of warranty expiration.
Just a quote

JETBEST USA

Well we have heard this question many times. OEM suppliers do not want you to use Third Party Inks and by voiding your warranty they keep you from spending your hard earned cash somewhere else. There are many rules written about what will void your warranty. However, legally they cannot void a warranty for your printer for using a Third Party Ink. Here at JETBEST INKS we offer high quality Inks that will satisfy any Roland. If you are interested in knowing if our products will save you money or have any questions please contact:

Angel Ochoa,
818-287-5899,
angel@jetbestusa.com

slangsc

I've been using the PeNR inks for about a year now in a bulk system. They work as advertised and I'm quite happy with them. I do think that the Triangle MLD inks are a little bit stronger with a better yellow color, but the Bordeaux inks have been great and I'm getting an awesome price for buying in 1 liter bottles.

gnemmas

We save $200/liter. At a minimum usage of 4 liter/mo. that is $800/mo savings.

Now you see why printer mfg try so hard to want you to use their inks. They make more money a year on inks than selling you a printer.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
By chance...

I just helped out a signs101 member who is having a problem with running Bordeaux inks. There apparently was a problem with his yellow cartridge not tripping the "ink out" sensor...and the "chip" on the cartridge apparently did not work well either.

So he ran it dry, and introduced air into the line.

An easy enough fix... if you know how to deal with it.
He didn't and spent the better part of a day hard down.

~E

Hmmm...you are talking about me...only my problem was with Solaris ink..not bordeaux. Could it be someone else had the exact same problem..recently like me...but with a different 3rd party ink?

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
How much are you saving not having peice of mind in tried and tested Roland ink?

My "tried and tested Roland ink" gave me the opposite of peace of mind when I had to replace 10,000 decals I gave to a customer because in 3 months the yellow dissapeared completely from the Orajet. 3 months!!!
The official claim by Roland DGA about thier Eco-Sol Max ink's are "Durability up to three years outdoors without lamination"
A FAR CRY from 3 months outdoor without lamination. I would'nt have been as screwed if it was only 1 year...but 3 months!!! Come On! It didn't just fade, it completely dissapeared. Green turned blue, yellow turned white and red turned pink. Sent Roland DGA in Irvine the samples and everything...they just told me..."you should have laminted it." So..basically..I should NOT have expected thier claim to withstand 1/3 of it's span. ANyway..still ranting...sorry.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Will Bordeaux Prime Eco Ink (Fellers) ruin my 2 year warrenty on the VP540 or should I stick with the higher priced Roland inks ? Thanks !

Well if I understand it correctly...Roland has a manufacturer's warranty for the 1 year...and the rep will offer a FREE 2nd year warranty "IF" you continue to purchase thier ink only.
SO if it happens during the 1st year that yo switch...legally, they cannot. But during the second year of the "free extended warranty", they can.
If it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the ink delivery system in anyway of course.

kaczkastudio

I've been using the PeNR inks for about a year now in a bulk system. They work as advertised and I'm quite happy with them. I do think that the Triangle MLD inks are a little bit stronger with a better yellow color, but the Bordeaux inks have been great and I'm getting an awesome price for buying in 1 liter bottles.

Where to buy Burdeaux?

skipmell

Bordeaux inks

DO NOT BUY Bordeaux inks, THEY KILLED MY ROLAND AND WE KNOW FOR A FACT THEY ARE DOING THE SAME TO OTHER MACHINES. SORRY FOR THE CAPS BUT BELIEVE ME I HAVE USED THEM FOR YRS AND HAVE PROBLEMS FOR YRS ONLY NOW TO TRACK THEM BACK TO THE SOLVENT EATING THE PLASIC PARTS AND SEALS, CAUSING INK DROPS AND CONSTANT PROBLEMS WITH PRINT QUALITY. TRUST ME, THESE INKS ARE A NIGHTMARE.

QUESTIONS CALL ME 817-834-4455

SKIP

DRamm76

I've said it once I'll say it 1000 times. With all due respect to people who own printers, you guys only see the printer you are working with..Technicians see hundreds a month. We just recently took a machine back from a customer who "claimed" 3rd party ink was only in it for 2 weeks.

Email me at DRamm@tyrrelltech.com if you want to check out the damage..we had to scrub the entire friggin printer..and the most common call we get is "I am having wicked overspray. Well with second rate..no no..third rate watered down ink..it's no wonder it's giving you overspray..

iSign Wraps

Borduex vs OEM

In one year I spent on $56,000 of OEM ink. By using Borduex ink for the last 4 years I cut that in half. Service call maintenance has been less than $7000 a year, you do the math.