• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Border Clean Up

captainron19

Still trying to get the hang of drawing things from scratch on Corel Draw x5

I have a patch (outline of it attached) and I am trying to clean up the edges ( a little rough in some parts when I zoom in on it)

Is there a setting in Corel Draw I can use the clean the edges up or am I better of attempting to redraw it...... like I said still trying to get the hang of it.

Attachments

• patch.jpg
    patch.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 123

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Looks like you are doing that in PhotoPaint.
What you want to do is set it up in Draw instead.
Find the vertical center and put a guide line there
Take the bezier pen tool and trace half the shape with a single line right in the center of your existing graphic.
Once you get the shape right increase the stroke to match the width of your outline. Mirror and weld the two halves to finish.

wayne k
guam usa

captainron19

I actually I did have it in Draw...making progress.... I used the Bezier Pen and set it to freehand and did the steps you advised.. Much better and cleaner edges but is there a setting I am missing on the bezier that allows for more rounded edges?

Attachments

• patch2.jpg
    patch2.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 74

JoshLoring

Looks like your just moving the mouse and clicking.. Creating a series of straight lines. You'll have to click hold and drag to create bezier curves. You should have about 8 nodes where you currently have 30+

captainron19

Yes I was moving mouse and clicking but before you replied back I think I got it where I wanted it...... I selected all nodes and then chose "reduce noise" and messed with different values and got this...

Attachments

• patch3.jpg
    patch3.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 74

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Josh is right, use the minimum amount to get the shape you want.
Don't use the freehand option when just starting out.
The bezier will allow better control of your point placement.
Start with straight line segments ending at each turning point in your path - set them all.
Then go back and convert(right click) the needed ones to curves and set the anchor point type to smooth where needed.

wayne k
guam usa

Attachments

• patch-2.jpg
    patch-2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 92

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If I'm tracing something I always use the bezier with straight lines (no click and drag). The anchor points are exactly placed. Single keystroke hotkeys convert only the lines I want to curves without dicking around with the endpoints. I'm left handed - my curve tools are hotkeyed to the right side of the keyboard - I don't need to move my cursor off the lines I am drawing to get what I need.

wayne k
guam usa

signage

If I'm tracing something I always use the bezier with straight lines (no click and drag). The anchor points are exactly placed. Single keystroke hotkeys convert only the lines I want to curves without dicking around with the endpoints. I'm left handed - my curve tools are hotkeyed to the right side of the keyboard - I don't need to move my cursor off the lines I am drawing to get what I need.

wayne k
guam usa

+1 on this. Also for the OP look up Joe Diaz webinar he shows how he does it.

Jackpine

With that image quick trace bitmap, select node tool, select cusp nodes, now begin to edit vector trace, select and break apart top and bottom nodes, edit and reduce nodes as needed, duplicate finished image, mirror horizontal, line up to the original, combine both shapes, select nodes on top, weld do same on the bottom nodes.

Attachments

• capt_ron_shield_patch.jpg
    capt_ron_shield_patch.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
With that image quick trace bitmap, select node tool, select cusp nodes, now begin to edit vector trace, select and break apart top and bottom nodes, edit and reduce nodes as needed, duplicate finished image, mirror horizontal, line up to the original, combine both shapes, select nodes on top, weld do same on the bottom nodes.

Sounds like alot of work. I can name that tune, er trace that shield with 6 nodes for half and, as mentioned earlier, mirror the right/left side. Most quick trace (autotrace) will result in too much clean up afterwards

Jackpine

Took less than 5 minutes from his image. I don't usually use quick trace but this was a simple shape.
I can name that tune, er trace that shield with 6 nodes for half and, as mentioned earlier, mirror the right/left side. Most quick trace (autotrace) will result in too much clean up afterwards[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Took less than 5 minutes from his image. I don't usually use quick trace but this was a simple shape.
I can name that tune, er trace that shield with 6 nodes for half and, as mentioned earlier, mirror the right/left side. Most quick trace (autotrace) will result in too much clean up afterwards
[/QUOTE]

I would like to see what the quality of a quick trace in corel looks like

signage

Doc I woud think that would be 5 nodes and mirror copy then reduce to 7 nodes?

Attachments

• patch trc.jpg
    patch trc.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 89

Jackpine

The quick trace was edited. This is a simple software skill I would think any sign maker would or should know.
In my sign work I hand draw, scan and clean up for a "hand made" not clip art look. But then I do have 30 years of skills in sign art and fine art.
I was not demeaning your skill or business, just helping out with some basic informational help.

I would like to see what the quality of a quick trace in corel looks like[/QUOTE]

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
The quick trace was edited. This is a simple software skill I would think any sign maker would or should know.
In my sign work I hand draw, scan and clean up for a "hand made" not clip art look. But then I do have 30 years of skills in sign art and fine art.
I was not demeaning your skill or business, just helping out with some basic informational help.

I would like to see what the quality of a quick trace in corel looks like
[/QUOTE]

No offense was taken. I just find that most autotrace files create more nodes than necessary and cleaning up nodes usually takes longer than creating them properly by hand one by one. But then that is just my workflow. I often get autotraced vectors from customers and they ask me to clean up, I always ask for the original jpegs and redo from scratch. I have never seen an autotraced file that could be cleaned up easily to my standards. I was curious if Corel could indeed provide an accurate file that did not require much clean up

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Sorry, he can watch your movie. I was just trying to "teach" so he could gain a skill in Corel. I thought this forum was for helping and learning. He will just have to get and learn Illustrator. I'm done.

I was teaching with a visual. Every step there is the mostly the same in Corel