• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Boss is looking at a new Van Ladder

visual800

if you are referring to a "straight shooter" type of lift with no bucket, one of the guys here in town have one and Im sure at one point in time it had its purpose but Im not impressed when you compare it to an articulating boom with bucket

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
My friend had one and said he didn't really like it. IIRC he said it didn't feel very stable and his had the pedestal that took up a lot of space inside of the van. Personally, I don't like working out of a van and would much rather have a service body. It's easier to grab tools/hardware at ground level then it is to crawl through a van. The center door over the wheels make a nice little work table on the service body trucks. I don't like driving a van either, theyre loud inside compared to a truck cab.

Last edited:

signbrad

Thanks for the replies.
I was hoping someone had experience with the latest generation of Van Ladder.
A lot of the past complaints have been addressed on the latest version. No tower penetrating the interior. Lots of accessible tool boxes. And they are putting it on a heavier vehicle. It's still all electric with no outriggers.

Personally, I would take a used Elliot any day. But it's his 100 grand. I told the boss I would try to find somebody on here that has used the newest version.

Here are some pictures if no one has seen the latest model.
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!...hUKEwjnw6aemZfuAhUkB50JHZtdCt0QoiowGnoECCIQAw

Thanks.

Brad in Kansas City

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What's the load capacity in that ?? Also, it doesn't look much more than about 30' fully extended.

What does your boss feel the pros are over a regular bucket with or without outriggers. That cargo area can be on just about any setup.

Does your boss already have a selection of booms/cranes of some sort and just needs this for some particular reason(s) ??

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I agree with JBurton. There is a company in town that only does service that bought one. You can get them for just under $100k. I looked at them recently but ultimately decided against it.

Rocco G

I've used ladder trucks and personally wouldn't buy one. I've also had a van-bucket and it was in use for perhaps 15 years. It's great in that you can just throw everything inside and lock the door. However, for sloppy people (yes including me) that's also a bad thing. STUFF tends to accumulate inside. The van is great when you need to carry a bunch of florescent lamps for service but that's much less common anymore. I do like the outside bin doors on the V-L though.

If it was me, I'd go for a Stamm Mfg. ATR-41 or ATR-45. I have the 41 (that's the working height) and it's the best small/medium truck I've ever used. Plus I have the 1000 lb jib, well worth the extra $7k I spent. The Stamm truck has a platform larger than most Elliotts (two fit in easily with room for tools etc.), turns 90 degrees each way, power in the platform, etc. Without using the jib, the platform rating is 600 lbs. I've added sliding tubes for handling faces and raceways. I can install 6x8 faces without help and have installed up to a 6 x 14 face with a second person in the platform. I can reach out over pretty wide sidewalks and install channel letters in comfort. Well relative comfort - it's work after all. I'd go on and on but need to get to work. IIRC a new one is ~$135k with the jib and a new truck. I got mine used and wish I had one forty years ago.

signbrad

Thanks for all the replies.

As you can see from all the pictures, the truck he is looking at is a F450 chassis, a box truck with duallys. The tool boxes are all opened from the outside. The reach is 40 or 45 feet, long enough for parking lot lights. Weight capacity is 300+, like a typical smaller bucket truck, enough for a man and a set of channel letters on a raceway. He would use it for installing and servicing channel letters mostly.

He currently has 3 bucket trucks and a small Skyhook. I assume he will replace one of the smaller Versalifts with this one.

I'm not a big fan of all-electric. I like to be able to move slowly and not move jerkily, which is only possible with hydraulics.
I would rather have a used Elliott, but it's his money.

I'll be retiring soon, anyway.