• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bought a New GS-24 cutter -Anyone have Bad Tracking Problems?

anthonyd969

Premium Subscriber
Hello all.

Picked up a new Roland GS-24 cutter today just for an extra cutter. We mostly print but my old cutter was long overdue to be retired.
Problem is Roland's tech service make me laugh as if it's my first day with a new job.
I've been in business for over 25 years I explained and have 2 XC Pro's from Roland already that print and cut. This is my 5th unit from them which I explained over and over. I am not a beginner & I know how to load a machine with vinyl!

Sales guy set it up and it cuts just fine. But the tracking is way out. Within 24 to 36 inches out of the machine it's already off 3/8 of an inch to 1/2. I can't imagine cutting something 10ft long.
TECH from Roland on the phone gave me all kinds of tests and nothing changed, I said it again this isn't my first time using a plotter. The carriage is off or something internal, please just send me another unit and call it a day!

Anyone else having issues like this with Tracking?

Thank you,
Anthony

stu

GS-24 Support

Hello Anthony,

We do apologize that you are having an issue with your GS-24. After having looked over what you have put we do agree that the amount that your cuts are off is not within the allowed amount for a Roland Cutter. We would like to assist you better with this situation and find a way to get your back up and running as quickly as possible.

Please contact us again and we will be happy to help you.

Thank you,

Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.

CarNate69

Anyone in the industry knows that if you want cutting accuracy or consistency on a long run, do not use a Roland machine for cutting. They make great printers, but their cutters are not accurate, not consistent, and they simply cannot tell you why, only send you into a loop of "software adjustments". We went to the SGIA show a few years back in Orlando, they had a 54" Roland cutter setup in their booth, and it too was cutting so far off on about a 50" long run (was touching the floor) that I questioned the salesman on the floor about why it was so far off, etc. He had no valid answer, even eluded that "it wasn't cutting right now", whatever that means, and after that point, we sold all of our Roland cutting equipment and vowed against using them again. This is after of course being put into a loop of trying to tune in a print and cut device for years and years through their manual adjustments, having a tech look at it over and over, etc. If they can't tune it for a show, then an end user can't tune it for production. We swore we were doing something wrong, until we changed manufacturers and suddenly, everything worked without hours of adjustments that make no sense. Stick to their printers, do not buy their cutters.

decalman

You should have got a Summa.
The Roland might be well built in many areas, but who wants a machine, that can't track ? .. especially when you start going over 10 feet.

ams

Hello all.

Picked up a new Roland GS-24 cutter today just for an extra cutter. We mostly print but my old cutter was long overdue to be retired.
Problem is Roland's tech service make me laugh as if it's my first day with a new job.
I've been in business for over 25 years I explained and have 2 XC Pro's from Roland already that print and cut. This is my 5th unit from them which I explained over and over. I am not a beginner & I know how to load a machine with vinyl!

Sales guy set it up and it cuts just fine. But the tracking is way out. Within 24 to 36 inches out of the machine it's already off 3/8 of an inch to 1/2. I can't imagine cutting something 10ft long.
TECH from Roland on the phone gave me all kinds of tests and nothing changed, I said it again this isn't my first time using a plotter. The carriage is off or something internal, please just send me another unit and call it a day!

Anyone else having issues like this with Tracking?

Thank you,
Anthony

I've never had tracking problems with my GX-24 plotter. Generally two things cause it, #1 not having the vinyl loaded perfectly straight, if it's slightly off, it will go way off. #2. When it reaches the floor and if you touch it or it hits a wall or anything, it won't lay down properly and shifts.

anthonyd969

Premium Subscriber
Anyone in the industry knows that if you want cutting accuracy or consistency on a long run, do not use a Roland machine for cutting. They make great printers, but their cutters are not accurate, not consistent, and they simply cannot tell you why, only send you into a loop of "software adjustments". We went to the SGIA show a few years back in Orlando, they had a 54" Roland cutter setup in their booth, and it too was cutting so far off on about a 50" long run (was touching the floor) that I questioned the salesman on the floor about why it was so far off, etc. He had no valid answer, even eluded that "it wasn't cutting right now", whatever that means, and after that point, we sold all of our Roland cutting equipment and vowed against using them again. This is after of course being put into a loop of trying to tune in a print and cut device for years and years through their manual adjustments, having a tech look at it over and over, etc. If they can't tune it for a show, then an end user can't tune it for production. We swore we were doing something wrong, until we changed manufacturers and suddenly, everything worked without hours of adjustments that make no sense. Stick to their printers, do not buy their cutters.

Thanks for the info. Seems I am getting the same thing right now. They have no valid answer and beating around the bush. Saying software and this or that.

I had a large Ioline smart/trac for over 15 years. That thing was right on the money. I just didn't feel like changing out pinch rollers and things to rehab it.

Thanks again for the help though.

anthonyd969

Premium Subscriber
You should have got a Summa.
The Roland might be well built in many areas, but who wants a machine, that can't track ? .. especially when you start going over 10 feet.

Guessing you have one and your happy with it. Yes, my stuff is generally over the 10ft mark which most sign companies would be. If I was just cutting little decals here and there it wouldn't bother me so much.
My other option now from them is a Graphtec? Input?s

Thanks

anthonyd969

Premium Subscriber
I've never had tracking problems with my GX-24 plotter. Generally two things cause it, #1 not having the vinyl loaded perfectly straight, if it's slightly off, it will go way off. #2. When it reaches the floor and if you touch it or it hits a wall or anything, it won't lay down properly and shifts.

Thanks for the reply.

But I am familiar with all the straightness loading it up. But your telling me after it hits the floor forget it and it's off track? Then this is no good at all other then cutting 3 to 4 feet.
If this is the fact I will forget about this.

I mentioned prior to someone else I had a 15 year old Ioline smart trac and that was straight up to 20 or more ft. hit the floor and roll right back in to cut weed box no problem. Guess I should just go back to that then....
They have more pinch rollers on the units which I believe helps dramatically.

Well, Thank you again.
Anthony

We've been running a GX-24 for 4 years now and with proper loading I can cut 10 yards of vinyl with little to no tracking problems at all. It might wander 3/8" in 30 feet and that's on a bad day.

anthonyd969

Premium Subscriber
We've been running a GX-24 for 4 years now and with proper loading I can cut 10 yards of vinyl with little to no tracking problems at all. It might wander 3/8" in 30 feet and that's on a bad day.

Thanks for the heads up.
I feel it's a machine issue.
It was delivered unboxed and just brought here. maybe it got banged around and that's what's causing issues?

Regards,
Anthony

m4ruk4

Graphtec...

Guessing you have one and your happy with it. Yes, my stuff is generally over the 10ft mark which most sign companies would be. If I was just cutting little decals here and there it wouldn't bother me so much.
My other option now from them is a Graphtec? Input?s

Thanks

I been working with graphtec for the last 2 years and they are pretty reliable. the longest sign I ve cutted was 30' and had no problem at all.

ams

Thanks for the reply.

But I am familiar with all the straightness loading it up. But your telling me after it hits the floor forget it and it's off track? Then this is no good at all other then cutting 3 to 4 feet.
If this is the fact I will forget about this.

I mentioned prior to someone else I had a 15 year old Ioline smart trac and that was straight up to 20 or more ft. hit the floor and roll right back in to cut weed box no problem. Guess I should just go back to that then....
They have more pinch rollers on the units which I believe helps dramatically.

Well, Thank you again.
Anthony

No that isn't what I said. If your plotter is like against the wall and it rolls out 10 feet and hits the wall or anything like a cord and it bunches up or doesn't lay down flat, it can throw it way off. Also some people hold the vinyl as it move in and out and that can shift it.

anthonyd969

Premium Subscriber
Getting my Ioline Refurbed

Called Ioline yesterday and total refurbish on my unit was no more then $500 and switching the board to USB.
It's a No brainer.

Thanks for the help everyone.