• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

box cutting and creasing on a Zund

RoCo

Does anyone have a source for box / packaging templates and advice on the tools required to do it? I have a Zund L-2500 and have put an email into Zund, but I like to utilize all of my resources for something like this.

Thanks!

Ddave72

I don't know offhand of any source for templates, but I used to make boxes all the time on my old Zund...

I'd take a big sheet of cardboard (tops & bottoms from the boxes my 4x8 sheets of gator came in) and use that... medium scoring wheel first for the fold lines (score/cut the side that will be INSIDE the box), then EOT for the outline. Fold, tape & ship. At one point I was getting all kinds of clever with clamshells, slip-over tops, etc. It's amazing what you can do with a ridiculously expensive machine, a nearly unlimited supply of cardboard, and too much free time. (for that matter, you should see some of the stuff I used to build out of gator scraps!)

I never saved any of those files, since they were always custom-made to whatever we were shipping out on any particular day, but I'll see if I can find a few minutes to bang together a sample file so you can get an idea of how it worked. Really, once you see how it goes, it's easy as hell to make any size/shape you need.

Sadly, I no longer work at that shop, so no more Zund for me, but consider yourself fortunate to have such a wonderful machine at your disposal! They can just do so very much once you start experimenting...

Good luck!

ignorance2

When we went for the traning for our Zund they demoed a program that made box files for you. You would enter the dimensions and press enter and it would produce either an AI or EPS for you withh all the layers seperated (throughCut, Crease). I design all our boxes in Illustrator and use trial and error. The tools I use are the Z-46 high speed foam knife for cutting and the CCT1 for creasing.

darrell

@ignorance2 Do you know the name of it? Was the training in Franklin, WI ?
My first sales of sweetcutspro.com are related to a recommending post Pete Alsten (Zund) made on LinkedIn. During the development process I made design options to reduce artist involvement which was time consuming when I was premaking boxes in a print, cut and box environment (large format digital). email support@sweetcutspro.com and check it out

jasonx

When we went for the traning for our Zund they demoed a program that made box files for you. You would enter the dimensions and press enter and it would produce either an AI or EPS for you withh all the layers seperated (throughCut, Crease). I design all our boxes in Illustrator and use trial and error. The tools I use are the Z-46 high speed foam knife for cutting and the CCT1 for creasing.

Pretty sure they have or bringing out a plugin for illustrator that does this. This is probably what you saw. Will save you time getting the right curves on the right layers for the Zund.

darrell

Jason would you like to try ? it's three numbers length, width, and height using your internet browser. All layers are made including a register layer for edge detection

Do you have any templates to start with? From my experiences even with a set template you still have to tweak your file a little here and there but nothing major. I have a ton of boxes templates that I made for all types of boxes if you'd like to try some out.