• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Boxed or open vinyl question.

Jim Hill

I have a question about purchasing vinyl.

When I go to the supply house sometimes the Orajet comes in a box sealed and once in a while they bring out a roll of vinyl that just has plastic around it and it is also Orajet.

Which would you purchase and why?

Does it make any difference?

I really don't want to act like a pain in the rear but I can't help wondering if I am getting a full roll.

Why would it not come in a sealed box?

Your comments please is this a problem or no big deal.

Thanks Jim

Maybe they need the box to ship to someone else, especially if they cut large rolls down to small rolls themselves. From now on, tell them you need it in the box to avoid damage when transporting it back to your shop.

"Deposit Please"

Why don't you ask them directly. I would purchase the one that has the sealed box. Won't roll around during transport, less likely to get damaged & contaminated.

if your buying 50yd rolls they will usually come sealed... if it's 10 yd rolls chances are they are cutting the material off larger rolls and bagging it themselves.

There's nothing wrong with this, it's part of why they can offer smaller rolls and even by the yard pricing...

If you are talking about print vinyl... I don't know why they would take it out of the box... Maybe they like sniffing that German air that is sealed in with it as much as I do. lol
We try to always keep track of aprox what we have used on each roll if you think you are getting shorted say something...

mrfern

Which would you purchase and why?

Does it make any difference?

The delivery to you depends on if they cut the roll down is how I understand it. But the critical question you need to ask is the lot number for the vinyl. As I was told the vinyl can stay in the warehouse for 2 years and still be considered fresh vinyl. After that the vinyl does not come with a warranty so you can see why all companies would like to work in the first in first out (FIFO) method of inventory when selling you vinyl. I had an issues with some old vinyl and had to take it back and when they looked up the roll they said... OHHHHHHHHHHH. Old lot cost me a re-do so now I always look at the date on the lot number. See if they vendor you use will share the freshness date with you. Maybe the vinyl suppliers can come up with some Blue Mountains to help determine freshness or at least offer a cold one at the sale... :peace!:

my .02 cents
mrfern

W

wetgravy

I prefer the boxed ones since about one in 3 rolls I get have a seam in the middle of the roll or are short by about one or 2 feet. I'm not too aggrivated by it though when that happens, but it is annoying if you're in the middle of a cut and a seam pops up, they forgot to seam but just threw the rest on the roll or you are cutting a specific size (24x36 panels for example) straight from the roll and one roll you end up with 10 panels exactly ... and the other is 9 panels and 8 inches of scrap.