• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Brand new UStech Laminator Problems...

teethree

Had a couple issues with a brand new laminator (vt-9600) we've only had for a few months, most of them we have figured out but this last one is a new issue.

When laminating prints we get a media bunching up in the center situation, about 8-10 feet in, it starts with the media going in getting wavy, not flat, and then the laminate film starts to get wrinkles in the feed before it gets to the roll, and after that theres popping noises of my dreams being shattered and bubbles going into the film.

The way I feed most prints is without the feed roller (feed shaft? i'm not sure of the technical term... the part you put the core with the prints on with the two end pieces to hold it in place) since they are short runs, at most 12 feet unless we are wrapping a car or doing a long run of prints. So we let the roll sit in front of the paper holder sled contraption and hold it in place as she laminates, this works quite well.

This problem has been occurring since we adjusted the pressure, but I'm wondering if it has to due with the fact there is no tension on the media as well, less pressure more tension perhaps?

Backstory on what we did so far, you can totally skip this part I just wanted to share my frustrations:

Problem 1. Silvering - Solution, we had to adjust the pressure of the rolls, there was not enough as there was a visible gap to the left and right of the media, adjustment side of the laminator had a sheared off bolt on the adjustment assembly so we had to wait for a replacement part to come in.

Problem 2. Backing take up reel slipping - Solution, we took apart the adjustment side of the laminator to where the chain runs through the gears, turns out the chain was also far too loose according to dave, so we tightened it and it seemed to have worked for a while, then it started to slip again, about half a day later, so we tightened it again, and again, to the point of way too much tension on the gears for my peace of mind, so we took a look at the other laminator we have as a media applicator, and turns out, right out of the box our adjustment tension knobs were set up incorrectly, the knobs needing to be installed as Knob->bushing->spring to as it were to give adequate tension, were installed Knob->spring->Bushing and since the knob had a nice cranny for the spring to just slip in, we were constantly losing a good 2 inches of spacing would have helped maintain tension on the take up reel... this was almost 2 weeks of my time fiddling with things and lubing parts and sanding discs for better grip... that part works like a whistle now...

Also the take up reel spins in the wrong direction for sure, face out, which is awkward, so we never use it.

Anyways, we never lifted the rolls on our previous laminator for almost 3 years and never had a problem with bubbles like this, and i've seen where rolls would flatten out slightly if left down for too long without use, but we use ours heavily, and pick the rolls up overnight, any ideas as to what could be the issue?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
It still sounds to me a like a leveling issue. You might need to pull both side covers and get that top roller adjusted just right so that its hitting the bottom roller perfectly level. I've adjusted ours. Of course this being off generally would cause bubbles on one side or the other, not the middle. If the top roller is level than I'd think it would be a tension issue, likely needing just a bit more or less tension on the laminate and possibly a bit more or less tension on the backing paper takeup which would move where the backing paper is separating from the laminate either closer to the nip or further.

Also - there is a fix for the material takeup going the wrong direction. I modified ours to correct that. It does take a bit of work and a drill bit but its really not difficult to do. On the chain drive side you will need to re-locate things a bit to make the chain run along the opposite side of the takeup shafts gear. I showed a picture of how I did this to ours some time back here. http://www.signs101.com/forums/show...-Pro-S-Laminator-Review&p=1216684#post1216684 Dave even contacted me a bit after I did this and was impressed with the idea and even mentioned that they were going to have this change implemented on future units being manufactured.

Brink

The popping noise is most likely from when you took the tension knobs off the remove the side cover. When you do that while the chain is still tight, the bearings can slip out of the gears. (the ones that are on the shafts that turn the take up reels) Loosen one of the idler gears. It will be in a slotted hole and let the chain go slack. Now if you carefully remove the knobs and the springs then the bushings on the driven spools, you will see a chain driven gear that is sandwiched between two clutch plates. Remove the top most clutch plate and you will see that the gear has dropped off of a little plastic bushing that acts as a bearing for the gear. Be careful dealing with it as it has a little square key that makes the shaft and the gear turn together. Put the bushing back in the center of the gear and put the gear back on the shaft taking care to get that key back in there properly. Re-assemble and tighten the chain with that idler gear that you loosened. Just slide it in it's slot till the chain is tight then tighten the nut that holds it.
This should eliminate the pop. It will also help some on the bunching because what happens is there is tension then pop no tension for a sec. But the main rollers didn't slip, just the take up reel on either the backing windup spool or the media take up. Basically everything needs to turn smooth and stay in time for it to work properly. The rest of the problem is either too much heat, causing the laminate to expand and a different rate from the media being joined to it, or too much pressure on the main rollers causing basically the same thing. It takes some time an patience to learn how to use a particular laminator. The UStech machines are nice for the money but they are among the cheapest for their size that are on the market. For the price, it will have quirks that you will need to learn to work through. You'll get there, just stay with it. :thumb:

Edit: I believe the key I was referring to is actually on the clutchplate not the gear. Try it you'll see.

teethree

Thanks guys! I adjusted the tensions and checked the balance on the rolls, the right side was up too high, which also made for a problem with tracking, she now laminates like a dream,
Top it off I made a quick-change roll holder to transfer media and rolls directly from our Hp-L25500 to the laminator, took a minute to get the balance on it right, but a few pieces of wood and 1" pipe brackets later with some large washers to hold it in place, it works quite well. Check it out.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20160121_155820550_HDR[1].jpg
    IMG_20160121_155820550_HDR[1].jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_20160121_155836132_HDR[1].jpg
    IMG_20160121_155836132_HDR[1].jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 315

Sven

I have a question about your USTech laminator unrelated to your issue -- How did assembly of it go? How many people did you need to lift the pieces for assembly? The reason I ask is that the website says the laminator weighs 500+ lbs, and our shop is on the second floor of a building with no elevator and a long staircase. I'm trying to figure out if we can bring the laminator up in pieces.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Ours came almost fully assembled. Some of the other models might have the base separate and detachable though. With the full side models that have the lower takeups and all it would be impractical to try and remove the base since all of the gearing, chains, power, etc are in the lower sides for driving all the rollers.

Once the crate is on the ground though, one person can easily uncrate it and move it around. The crate cleverly includes a set of ramps that you place at the end of the crate and just roll it right off onto the floor. You do have to first remove some large bolts that secure it to the crate first. Getting it upstairs..... ouch, that going to s**k really bad. The WORF TX and the Pro series are like what we got. The other models - I have no idea if the upper section is removable from the leg section. I just looked on their site though and the Pro 65 we have weighs in at 900 lbs! The VT9600 that the OP has weighs 700 lbs. It does however show the crate as being much shorter so I'm assuming that the leg section is detached for shipping. Even with the 495 lb 55 inch one though I'd still assume the top section to still be a good 300+ lbs. That's not going to be easy to cart up some steps.

Brink

Mine (Pro65S) came more or less assembled. All the large parts were together. The heater was shipped in a separate tube and had to be installed. They dropped it off in a crate outside. Getting the top and sides off the crate was pretty easy. Getting the machine off the bottom of the crate was the part when I was grateful for help. After you get it out of the crate you can roll it around.