• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Brass vs Bronze - In-ground Plaques

tanneji

Hello all!

For longevity and wear etc, which would be the better for mounting into a sidewalk? People will be walking on it etc etc ....

Any preference or knowledge?

Thanks!

Joel

J Hill Designs

I have brass gemini letters embedded in concrete for the past three years - lots (and I mean lots) of foot traffic, no issues...

ratchet

for me to give a more accurate answer, you'd need to specify which brass/bronze alloys you're referring to (as they all have different properties).

But, as a generality:
--> "brass" is generally an alloy of mostly copper and zinc
--> "bronze" is generally an alloy of mostly copper and tin

Also, some tradenames with "bronze" in the name are actually classified as brass (and vice-versa)

Bronze is generally more resistant to corrosion (salt, etc), and is generally harder, but is also generally more expensive than brass (and is harder to work).

If I was going to guess (without knowing which alloy), I would generally choose bronze (IMHO, YRMV, etc.)

petrosgraphics

have had many a bronze plaque done by GEMINI, it has always been my 1st choice...

jill has a point..... just never thought of brass......

G-Artist

If I were casting, I'd choose bronze in a heartbeat.

It's more durable and will last multiple lifetimes as well.

Pure brass is so easily tarnished it's incredible. Take a tour of the EU and note all the beautiful
brass statuary. It is all green and blue (and now ugly). No amount of covering finishes will
last more than a year or two. Take that from a Navy guy who carried around Brasso by
the gallon ... lol.