Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brazing aluminum

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Texas_Signmaker, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Is brazing aluminum comparable to welding it as far as strength? I've soldered parts before and it looks like a similar process but just on a larger scale. Would it be strong enough for small sign frames? I use a guy that welds but lately it takes a week or two before he can get to the jobs... wondering if this is something that I should be doing in house or is this just a stupid idea?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    Tags:
  2. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Nope. IMO I would only use the low temp rod for decorative pieces not structural. Too bad you're so far away. I could TIG those today.

3. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Depending on what you're needing to fasten, you can get an awful lot done with tube of Lords/ASI and some flat metal/90's. I put up a Steak n Shake for another company that had just lost their welder (guy). Half of everything that we got was totally glued together. Like Signgineer framing and directional signs. Just make certain to rough up the two mating surfaces, and never glue prepainted to a frame and then get it powder coated. The heat from powder coating will bake the paint off of the aluminum and leave it on the glue!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. fixtureman

fixtureman Member

May 16, 2012
    Medina Ohio
    Take a welding course and get a small welder you won't need a very big one to do the job

5. spectrum maine

spectrum maine Member

Nov 1, 2012
    biddeford, maine
    i have welded cast aluminum with a special rod they sell at tractor supply, worked excellent. you need a mapp gas handheld torch as it burns around 200 degrees hotter than propane. very small window on cast, but much easier in aluminum angle & sheet

6. spectrum maine

spectrum maine Member

Nov 1, 2012
    biddeford, maine
    also clean clean clean & use a brass wire bush not steel

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bubba06

Bubba06 Just Somebody

Feb 13, 2005
    Manning SC
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ DID HE MENTION, IT HAS TO BE CLEAN? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  8. Evan Gillette

Evan Gillette Member

Dec 5, 2018
    MN
    With the price of import welders, it would be well worth it to get a small setup and learn (either spoolgun(mig) or tig) if you do any volume, its a great skill to learn. It will take a couple thousand in tools/materials and a few nights of practice to get the hang of it. Generally speaking:
    Spoolgun (mig) = fast and ugly (easier to learn)
    Tig = clean and pretty (much more time consuming to learn)

For basic equipment recommendations and some decent advice lookup chucke2009 on youtube. I have a small DC mig (steel only) and an AHP ac/dc tig/stick machine (aluminum and steel/stainless/chromoly)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1