Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Break capacities

Discussion in 'Electric Signs & Channel Letters' started by letterman7, Aug 3, 2012.

1. letterman7

letterman7 Very Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I figure this would be the appropriate place to put this: I do not do any sheetmetal work sign related at all at my place, but I do need some for hobby projects. I've been looking at various pan breaks (or brakes, depending on your location and/or spelling inclination) and obviously they are all rated for different guages, 18, 22, etc. I imagine those are for steel sheets; what is the equivalent rating for aluminum? For instance, will a 22GA break bend .060 aluminum?

Rick

Tags:
  2. letterman7

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks, but that's not what I'm asking. I'm well aware that .060 is thicker than 22GA; what I'm asking is if a break that is meant to bend steel will bend the lighter and easier bent aluminum at a thicker gauge?

3. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    well, I found a 22ga metal brake online that says max for mild steel = 22ga, max for alum. = .040

4. letterman7

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Ok, more than what I found trying to research it. A good reference point - thanks, jhill!

5. Moze

Moze Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Proper spelling is "brake".

That's my only contribution. :)

6. ova

ova Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Wheeling, WV
    Whatever brand you end up buying, make sure it has an adjustable jaw. For thicker material, you'll need a bigger gap at the bend point. If not, it will shear your material.

If the jaw is not adjustable, you can do two bends at 40 degrees each to get your 90. This will keep the material from shearing.

Dave