• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Break capacities

letterman7

I figure this would be the appropriate place to put this: I do not do any sheetmetal work sign related at all at my place, but I do need some for hobby projects. I've been looking at various pan breaks (or brakes, depending on your location and/or spelling inclination) and obviously they are all rated for different guages, 18, 22, etc. I imagine those are for steel sheets; what is the equivalent rating for aluminum? For instance, will a 22GA break bend .060 aluminum?

Rick

letterman7

Thanks, but that's not what I'm asking. I'm well aware that .060 is thicker than 22GA; what I'm asking is if a break that is meant to bend steel will bend the lighter and easier bent aluminum at a thicker gauge?

ova

Whatever brand you end up buying, make sure it has an adjustable jaw. For thicker material, you'll need a bigger gap at the bend point. If not, it will shear your material.

If the jaw is not adjustable, you can do two bends at 40 degrees each to get your 90. This will keep the material from shearing.

Dave