• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Breakdown of members niche in the sign industry...

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I thought it would be nice to get a feel for what everyone does. There are folks here that design, run graphic shops, run full service sign shops, etc. I'm curious to see it broken down. So without turning this into a 'peddling your wares' thread....

What exactly do YOU do?

Are you self-employed, an employee,...?

How large of a company?

What is your sign-related background?

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I'll start:

I'm a self-employed sole-proprietor.

I perform surveys & code research/compilation and install non-illuminated signs for other sign companies.

I don't sell or manufacture any products.

I worked for a national, full service sign company for ten years before starting my own business.

ThinkRight

I am a" Wanna-be".Still learning how to use the printer and Corel.

/I finally printed my first stickers and they came out ok but...
I can't figure out how to get them to cut.

visual800

Small sign shop here. We design and do alot of logo work. I specialize in monument signage, channel letters, architectural and commercial signage. Aluminum structures painted and isntalled. Do a good bit of custom hand painted murals and interior designs.

We also offer business cards, flyers and letterhead. Not a large part of the business but it helps. I dont care for yard signs and banners, magnets and all that stuff although it was a large part of us when we started in business. I do not wrap but I will do a partial, not my specialty

kylebrk

We are full service. This week was a perfect example:

11'x6' reverse lit channels
suburban full wrap
2 trailer full wraps
120' interior wall wrap
pop up banners, regular banners, yard signs, and some decals....

704signs

I offer services to other sign companies such as ADA / Wayfinding installation,
Interior/Exterior architectural installation
Project management and coordinating
Site surveys and permits
Modification,repair and removal
An extra helper / Weekend work
Punch lists / Reorders
Vinyl graphics

Kottwitz-Graphics

Well, I do vehicle lettering, but I don't do wraps. Signs, business cards, and I have been doing more dimensional work. I just finished up a interior illuminated sign cab't with a vandal proof face (over the changeable copy) for a local church, and I just put a bid in for a v shaped interior illuminated (with push through copy) monument sign.

Pretty much, anything that will sit still long enough to get some sort of lettering.

Allied Digital

In-home, here. Supply local printing companies with small signs, banners, decals/stickers and RTA vinyl. Other customers are non-profit orgs that get a better than retail price but not as good as I give my printing companies.
I stay extremely busy and all of my business comes via email.
Im in one 12x16 room with a desk, computer, JV1204, 60" graphtec, laminator and a 5x8 work table. Only thing on my wish list is a nice trimmer but I am plum out of room!

Allied Digital

In-home, here. Supply local printing companies with small signs, banners, decals/stickers and RTA vinyl. Other customers are non-profit orgs that get a better than retail price but not as good as I give my printing companies.
Im in one 12x16 room with a desk, computer, JV1204, 60" graphtec, laminator and a 5x8 work table. Only thing on my wish list is a nice trimmer but I am plum out of room!

needless to say... everything is on wheels!

JKADesigns

I hear you. I'm in about the same amount of space, maybe just a little less. have not optimized my space yet, only have a desk, computer, 3x5 work table, and a 40" panther.

mopar691

I to am a self-employed sole-proprietor. Few part time employees as the work load allows. Just moved from my old location to a very large building in a different local town. Have more bays, rooms and shop space then I know what to do with yet. Old space was 30' x 60'. New building is approx 50' x 180'.

I am in a large resort area so a large portion of my work is marketing material and clothing for resort and vacation spots. Lots of banners and fast turnaround.

My background comes from marketing and graphic design for a large international cosmetic company.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
What exactly do YOU do?

Environmental Graphic Design, Identity Design, Code Signage, Project Management.

Self

How large of a company?

Just me.

I was trained in hand lettering to computer graphics, worked at quite a few shops from paint and vinyl to ADA, to vehicle graphics to architectural, worked as shop help, installation, construction, worked at an architects office, exhibit house, graphic design firms, a few environmental graphic design firms. I have designed small vinyl decals to large themed environments all over the US and a few countries.

artbot

high end interior multi-media/signage/art/digital mixed media. it's just me and my girlfriend. i can hire help but everything is so specialized and it rarely goes right or the same way twice. most of our projects retail for $360.00 a square foot. so it's very stressful precise work.

@mopar691 50x180 and just one guy!!! that is insane. you are very lucky.

Farmboy

What exactly do YOU do?
Only what I want to. Screen print shirts and yard signs, also digi print yard signs, vehicle mags, decals and banners. We offer cards and flyers,but don't do them in house.

Self, with 3 full time employees.

None, but I do know how to do layouts and that's also why I have employees with talent. I know my limits :)

Craig Sjoquist

Self employed, since 75 as a trained sign painter / layout, now doing mostly ..window splash.. rough walls.. fabric awnings..temporary advertising.. redoing other shops work...use my vinyl cutter mainly for hours on doors, looking for ways to do hand lettering and pinstriping is my daily challenge while riding a bicycle this last 2 years and profit enough to eat, make headway, cause I'm a wannabe Coreldraw designer.

Jillbeans

What exactly do YOU do?
I love to hand letter.
I paint signs whenever possible.
I do cut vynull on signs, banners, and vehicles.
(I outsource prints)
I do a fair amount of logo design and bizcards.
I sub out designs to fellow signfolks.

self-employed since 1985 working from a home on commercial property

How large of a company?
Me, myself, and I.

I've always been artistic, I went to art classes since 4th grade, attended the art institute of Pittsburgh, and the school of hard knocks after that.
I painted my first sign in 1980 and it's still in use, although rather scabby looking.
Bought my 1st can of 1-Shot in 1985 back when it still had lead in it.
Bought the Mike Stevens book at my 1st Letterhead meet in 1994.
Bought a computer in 1998 and stated learnin' vynullin'.
Bought Corel in 2005.
Got heavier into the design aspect after that.
Still learn something new every day, usually the hard way.

DizzyMarkus

Howdy all,
3 year cut only service and recent purchase of a SP-300V.

Local reality, bars, food services, menus, weekly specials (store fronts) vehicle lettering, and general small stuff in a town of approx:12,000

Markus

bernie

What exactly do YOU do?

Sandblasting aprx. 18 years. About 85% of my work is putting names, logos, designs, addresses, dates, memorial information, etc. on hard surfaces such as rock, basalt, granite, tile, marble, brick, etc. I also do some carving and a fair amount of grinder / polishing work on rock. I do both commercial and residential, my shop or onsite.

15% of my work is glass etching / carving putting names, logos, etc. on glass entry doors, mirrors, shower doors, windows, wine bottles, etc. Could be a higher percentage but rock grabbed me years ago because of my lifelong attachment to it so, that is where I spend my time.

I do no production work as either I have no interest in it or haven't figured out how to make a living at it.

Self employed or employee?

I have never worked for anyone ... guess that makes me an employee of me

How large of a company?

Just me. I have hired over the years, found I'm a lousy babysitter, can't get a grasp on why people don't have passion for what they do and have a problem with 'just giving someone a paycheck that really is only there for that purpose'. I do have help on a need help basis and always when I do onsite jobs.

Sign related background?

Absolutely none when I started. However, I did have a long time background as a general contractor. Attended the school of hard knocks with the good ole boys being my teachers. I had worked side by side with architects, designers, some excellent sub contractors and learned what I did not know ... I knew where to go to get it. Today, that background serves me well as I have little problem sitting in a 'stuffy' corporate board meeting discussing projects to working with an upset person on a pet memorial.

How did I get to Signs 101?

Years ago I was looking for information on something about applying paint on a glass sign I had completed. Happened upon this forum, liked what the people did, liked the attitude, finally registered and just stayed. At first I felt pretty much on the bottom of the totem pole as I had no clue how to do what you people do ... but then realized I do similar but on a different surface. I cut stencil and rubber ... I just use it for a template to allow me to sandblast the needed information. When I need my truck lettered, signs, business cards, etc., believe it or not, I call my printers and sign people. I am good at what I do, they are equally as good at what they do.

Bernie

Last edited:

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
What exactly do YOU do?
Stone and monument engraving (also includes pet memorials, fundraiser brick projects)

Self-employed sole prop.

How large of a company?
One-man show

Started out with big dreams doing what was originally called "camera ready" artwork for my hot-stamping business...doing imprinted magnetic business cards, ad specialties, wedding stuff, etc...

I had one of those "Eureka!" moments during the summer of 2005, when I read an article in A&E Magazine (Awards & Engraving) written by Norm Dobbins. His article was a major turning point that allowed me to transition my creative tendencies into more profitable revenue streams.

JB

Atomic DNA

Self-employed with one employee (wife) that doesn't get paid.

Primary business is airbrush retail (apparel, license plates, batting helmets, etc) and been doing this for 25 years.

Second part of the business is custom paint on bikes, cars, etc. This has been going very strong as of late.

On the graphics design end of it, we have a couple of large format printers for doing on the spot stuff. We design company logos, business cards, letterheads, yard signs and quite a few decals in general. Vehicle lettering (no wraps) screen printing and thermal flex round out the "signs" part of the business.

My third adventure is about to launch her in a week or so. It is a business product designed for other airbrush artists to make more money in less time. I'll post up about it later when it comes into fruition.