• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Breakdown of members niche in the sign industry...

lexsigns

What exactly do YOU do?
pretend to be wonderwoman ;) I am a mom to 2 yr old ( full time job in itself)
in biz for 19 years this year. I design everything I do ( or at least try to change the clients mind who comes in with the "my cousins sisters husband" designed my logo) do alot of logos and dimentional signs (designing logos is my passion)
about 1/2 of my biz I letter trucks, mostly cut vinyl or partials but I occationally will do a full. I also install wraps on a regular basis for a national co.-the other 1/2 is made up of a lot of carved/ sanblasted dimensional signs, interior dimensional signs, awnings, windows, banners, channel letters sign cabinets , site signs, etc,, I will do the small scale stuff more when it's slow but I have a pretty big range so stay pretty busy
I still hand letter the and gold leaf the carved signs - I really enjoy that at least once a month!

Are you self-employed, an employee,...?
Self-employed sole prop.

How large of a company?
just me and REALLY amazing subs ( most of the time) It beats babysitting!
What is your sign-related background?
Went to work in a small sign shop in 1984 fell in love with hand lettering so went to "sign painting" school in 1986 always had side work and worked in a bunch of shops back before computers. Opened my biz in 1993 with a gerber 4b upgraded to a pc , signlab and corel.
Have 2 plotters now waiting on a printer - still sub it out
In my 3rd shop have 2 bays and 3 offices

rjssigns

I help out the wife while I am finishing school. She owns the biz.

What we do:
Digital prints for partial wraps, signage etc.
Design and production of POP
Cut vinyl for various projects. Windsurf sails were most recent.
Restoration gauge faces for vintage boats(very interesting)
Doming(small run only)
Business card design
Wholesale to other shops in area.
Industrial labeling.
Custom Paint(motorcycles)
TIG welding(aluminum and stainless)
Metal Fabrication (includes tube bending for roll cages)
Woodwork
Mechanical work of all types.
Generally anything for a buck when the sign side slows down.

I've hung chandeliers for neighbors and done snow removal in the winter. Built decks, remodel projects, hardwood flooring, blah, blah blah.
I am capable of doing many things and doing them well as long as you are willing to be fair on payment.
Heck, for a short time I even ended up as the "on call" welder for an HVAC shop that is one of our sign clients. Go figure.

Letterbox Mike

What exactly do YOU do?

Me personally my daily tasks include sales, account management, project management and quoting. In general I also schedule work through the shop and keep an eye on everything to make sure things are working as smoothly as possible.

My wife and I own the company.

How large of a company?

6-8 employees right now depending on the season.

Long story, I won't bore people with it, but I was always artsy, worked at a vinyl shop when I was 16 and liked the business. Went on to get a degree in graphic design and wanted to stay with the output end of the marketing industry and eventually ended up doing this.

Marlene

What exactly do YOU do?

I do everything from design work for graphics to designing the sign and how it will be constructed. this involves routed, sandblasted, channel letters, internally illuminated and all types of signs. I also do vinyl install, install stud mounted letters, build stuff, make stuff and just about anything needed to get done. I also did screen printing when I first started at the sign shop.

employed. been employed at the same sign shop since 1986

How large of a company?

2 bucket trucks, 1 pick-up truck and a crane with an 80' boom. depending on the amount of work, we have any where from 8 to 12 employees so we are a small shop

college level design, not my major. began as sign shop screen printer, moved up to an everything job soon after. learned on the job sign making, mostly by making it up as I went along.

C

ColoPrinthead

I operate and manage an internal print house for a corporation. I print vinyl wraps for our products and we are hoping to move into providing work for other companies.

Our company is large, I have no idea how many employees we officially have.

I started as a designer for AutoTrader years ago and moved into print after the .com bust. I was trained in a working litho shop at a vocational school. I got into large format working for a repro house in 2003/4. I moved around the larger printhouses in Dallas for years, doing file setup and printer operation for dye sub and regular inkjet.

StarSign

Real Estate Signs (any size), Flags and Military, Magnets, Banners, Cut Vinyl, Printed Vinyl, Flatbed Printing, ADA Engraving both Rotary and Laser, Routing, Traffic Signs and Safety, Vehicle Wraps, Printing (B-Cards, Letterhead, Envelopes, Postcards...), LED Signs, Flagpoles, Airplanes, Dimensional Letters, and more.....

12 of us here

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
What exactly do YOU do?

How large of a company?

I (Gene) am one of the owners here. I handle everything someone else doesn't. Repairs, new products, custom/odd quoting, fill in when someone's sick. I spend as much time as I can on the phone with our customers. I'm here late right now trying to figure out why one of our UV Dryers keeps overheating. Tomorrow I'll be working on a bonus system to reward our team's productivity.

8 of us here and growing. 4 years old. We do thousands of screen printed 24x18" coro yard signs a day, 98% are orders of 10-2500pcs and shipped out of state.

Started from scratch in my parent's basement. I knew nothing of the sign industry 6 years ago.

Last edited:

RobbyMac

I am an employee. I worked for this company for 6 years before venturing on my own (Graphic design only) and returned 8 years later when the economy went bust (or more aptly, I couldn't collect $$ from clients)
I design, run the vutek 2360 solvent pinter, run the hpl25500 latex when it involves wraps. I install on really curvy stuff like helmets, or indycars, or normal crap when the SHTF. I do the computer maintenance, backups, planning and IT crap (whatever the hell IT is, since if it involves computers it means I have to do it).
When slow (yeah right) I help with production.
Today I helped install wallpaper on an interior domed/curved ceiling in a 53' transporter (because some idiot thought it'd be a good idea to use sheetrock for the ceiling and the client doesn't like that it cracks everyime they drive the POS somewhere). I've never done wallpaper before, so what better way to learn than on a curved surface ceiling.

Erikka@Rainier

What exactly do YOU do? I work for a graphics shop, mainly doing wallpaper, custom interior signage, museum exhibit graphics and vehicle wraps. We also have 2 RGB photographic printers that produce 4'x8' continuous tone photos.

Are you self-employed, an employee,...? I am the lead pre-press technician and oversee 2 employee's.

How large of a company? 12 employee's total.

What is your sign-related background? I started out at a retail design and fixture manufacturing company in 2003 as a print technician, worked there for 6 years. Worked for 2 sign shops doing layout and production before landing my current job.

headfirst

What exactly do YOU do? Sales and marketing and business management. And ordering and sometimes printing and vinyl. Oh and most of the prepress.

We're an ASI contract printer (asi/700679) but do some retail work in our immediate area.

I also am a partner in another sign related business that sells direct to sports event and fundraising organizations.

Are you self-employed, an employee,...? Owner.

How large of a company? We're a 3 man shop currently. 2500 square feet. 2 screen printing lines, Dye Sublimation, Cut Vinyl and we recently added a high speed digital copier.

What is your sign-related background? My background is more print focused than sign. I was running the prepress/digital room at a trade printer that brought in RasterGraphics large format printer and a big seal laminator. The rest is history.. or something.

I sold print and managed shops for about 14 years and then went out on my own in 2009. I spent the first year brokering print and then bought a small contract screen shop and started to expand it.

I absolutely love what I do.

Hicalibersigns

What exactly do YOU do? All of the marketing stuff, built website, PPC advertising, Email blasts, all of the IT stuff, anything that requires woodworking skills or metal fabricating skills or engineering.

My day job is Director of Operations for a software company.

Are you self-employed, an employee,...? Partner

How large of a company? My business partner handles all of the sales stuff and manages production and subcontractors. We have one full time employee and are looking to add another. She is a talented AI operator and designer, and she will fearlessly take on anything. Answering the phone, ordering materials, wrapping a vehicle, whatever!

What is your sign-related background? Heh, heh. None. Well, I have about 40 years in all levels of customer service, electronics design and engineering and large scale project management. But if you are talking actually making signs...none. On the other hand, I spent about 20 years designing and manufacturing Jewelry, and about 3 operating an art foundry, so I guess that counts a little.

Bly

I ride bikes and travel.

To pay for that I have a business where I print stuff and stick it to things.
One employee helps me do all the printing and sticking.

SD&F

What exactly do YOU do?
I do it all here. I manage people, I sell, I pay bills, I set up accounts, I deal with everything. If there is a problem.....it always comes to me.

We are a wholesale sign manufacturing company that does Sandblasting, CNC, V-groove,
signs on wood or HDU. We make lobby displays that I find to be impressive. We have in-house designers, sales and guys who love to hand paint everything. The work all done in house. We have Monumets that are custom to order. We also offer impressive LED's to order.
I would like to think we do it all. I am always open to new projects that offer challenges, I personally think I strive on those.

I am the president of the company, but I work the phones, sales and the floor when I get bored. I love my people, atleast right now.

How large of a company?
We have over 30 employees right now. It fluctuates at times.

Experience is over 25 years in the areas mentioned above.

If I am selling myself, I am sorry.....but this is the correct answers to the questions asked and I am proud of what I do and what we do in this business as a whole. I am not soliciting business, but here if anyone should have any questions on any of the areas I have mentioned. Please don't blast me......I am humble, really.

chester215

Just call me Chester.
What exactly do YOU do?
I am the partner / owner / manager of a family run business.
I do everything from minor repairs on our vehicles, payroll, HR, customer service, sign designs and anything else that comes up.

We are a company that mainly installs real estate signs. We have 12 drivers that cover all or part of 3 New England States (CT, MA, RI).
We install residential signs and commercial signs that do not require a bucket or ladder truck.
We have recently purchased a HP l26500 printer & summa cutter so we can make 4x4 and larger custom signs for our commercial customers.
We have a total of 17 employees. 13 partners in the LLC, 4 non partners.

According to the government I am self employed as a partner in a LLC. But I am an employee.

How large of a company?
We have a total of 17 employees.12 +- drivers, 3 to answer the phones one of which helps me make signs when needed, myself and one other manager.

I took art in grade school. But seriously, I have no formal training in this field. Formerly I was a golf course superintendent for many years but that industry was not so good to me. So when the opportunity came up I switched professions, mainly to help out my dad who wanted to retire ( that was 14 years ago and he is now 84 ) but he still comes in almost every day.

Last edited:

JBusch260

What exactly do YOU do?
Kind of a jerk of all trades. Started out in production, applying vinyl to substrates and vehicles... installations... etc. Got moved up into the office to run and be in charge of the the Mimaki JV33-160, soon to add running a CET flatbed. Every now and then design work, but not primarily. Oversee all printable inventory, laminates, supplies, etc.

An employee

How large of a company?
14 employees in a fairly large building, but we are busy enough that an expansion wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Graduated from Indiana University's school of Fine Arts, with a focus on Graphic Design. Interned at IDC in Lafayette, doing design layouts for advertisements, trade shows, etc. My true tangible sign history comes from my experience at Paint the Town Graphics in Ft Wayne, where I've been for over three years now. Everything I haven't learned here, I've been able to learn from you fine forum folks. In my spare time, I do design work and merch for national touring bands. FUN!