• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Brick Facade, what to use

BMurphy688

Hi guys,

I have a client who's like a new sign on the outside of building... I need to obtain permit prior, and was thinking of using aluminum against a brick facade vs polycarb as the alum is lighter (?).....

What are your thoughts? What should I use to connect to the building?

thanks,

Brendan

Letterbox Mike

I'm not a fan of sheet aluminum for signs, it buckles and bows as it expands and contracts and it always looks wavy. Consider something like Dibond or Alumacorr.

Tapcon masonry screws are my preferred method of attachment to brick.

markymarkmfb

Ditto the dibond and Tapcons, I usually apply some silicone caulk to the tapcon before I screw it in, it acts as a lubricant and when it dries it makes for a stronger install.

Joe Diaz

Another nice product that is less expensive than lets say .063 sheet aluminum, yet still has an aluminum surface and is more rigid is Alupanel. It is extremely light too. Also, and you may already be well aware of this, but make sure no matter what fastening method you use, you go with stainless steal.

Mosh

Use Max-Metal or diabond. Install an exstruded aluminum frame, and simply slide the face in. The frame can be attacked with concrete anchors in the motor of the brick.

BROWNDOG

but make sure no matter what fastening method you use said:
why stainless, does tapcon or someone else make a fastner for concrete thats stainless, i always thought of stainless as a soft metal.

Joe Diaz

why stainless, does tapcon or someone else make a fastner for concrete thats stainless, i always thought of stainless as a soft metal.

If you are using aluminum anything, you want to stick with stainless to avoid corrosion issues.