• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Brick Vinyl

Marty Thompson

I am working on a project for a wall mural that will be applied to painted brick. I see many different vinyl / laminates that say they can work on this type of substrate. Can anyone recommend the best type of vinyl / laminate to use?

The Hobbyist

You want to lay vinyl over a brick wall? :rolleyes: I don't see how you will pull that one off. I would use a strong projector and trace the pattern at night, projected as a black and white line art image, and then fill it in with a paint brush or an air brush during the day.

Joe

The Hobbyist

It's done all the time.

3M 8624
I'd like to see a clear example of this. The photo depicts my definition of a brick wall.

Joe

Attachments

• brick wall.jpg
    brick wall.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 123

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Alumagraphic, not exactly vinyl, but it's adhesive, and can be printed and installed like vinyl
It's pricy, but awesome for brick or concrete.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Are you talking about a BLOCK wall, or a BRICK wall? The two surfaces are worlds apart.

Joe

The OP said brick, so I was also referring to brick. Vinyl can be applied to brick, block and a whole slew of other surfaces.

The Hobbyist

I'd like to see an example of vinyl applied to a brick wall. Are the spaces between the bricks just left as open cavities?

Joe

victor bogdanov

Post a picture of the surface, I've had good luck with using wallpaper paste/adhesive on walls where adhesion problems could come up.

PRO-543-Universal.jpg

The Hobbyist

Well I'll be! I do pay attention to signage, but I honestly do not believe I have ever seen that before. I would have thought that the vinyl would become horribly distorted trying to fill in the regions between the bricks, but apparently this stuff is heated? And Pushed into place? or ??? I always assumed those signs were hand painted onto the bricks! You learn something new every day.

Joe

The Hobbyist

Very easy to find with Google.

The vinyl is applied with heat and forms to fit the textured surface, including the mortar lines.

I guess so. I always assumed thoe brick signs were painted. I will have to go find one and examine it more closely.

Joe

C2 Media

The 3M IJ8624 is the way to go, but it is not as simple as laying vinyl. It does have to be heated, but you also have to use a roller to press it into the low spots as you heat it. And you will feel like you were hit by a truck at the end of the install if you have much surface area to cover. Also I have had the vinyl delaminate from a painted surface within a couple of months. Given the cost of the material, you may want to make sure you are well covered.

Dale D

I've used the same material Mactack streetrap and 3m 3662 and has been on my asphalt in front of my shop for almost 2 yrs now. Even held up to the snow we had. Yes it has to be heated and rolled, once done correctly, it looks just like paint on a wall. They even make vinyl for commercial carpet.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I did vinyl on some brick that had splatters on it. It was real rough. On advise of some people here, I pressure washed the brick and got the large splatters off, let it dry for a day and came back and applied. I heated the hell out of it. This was premasked cut printed vinyl... boy was that fun. I didn't think it was going to stick worth a shit but 4 years later it's still there.

IMG_20180815_093746104_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180815_093239412.jpg
IMG_20180815_093738708.jpg

Laminate this with a cast lam and go…

As others have said, it’s a workout to get it heated and into the mortar joints. 5 year life expectancy.

whitehot

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 11.50.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 11.50.06 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 103

signheremd

We use Grimco's Briteline MultiGrip. You can't laminate it, but it adheres to brick, block, concrete with ease. Comes in a 4' wide roll. We use or UV flatbed printer and our Roland EcoSol to print with great results. Removes easily too. Is basically a canvas with extra thick adhesive.