• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Brick Wall - Arlon dpf 8000

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
Anyone use the Arlon dpf 8000 for cinder block application? I've searched the forum already but didn't see anything in regard to lamination with this media - I normally laminate pretty much everything that leaves my office - but is lamination required using this media?

I have a request to do locker room graphics on painted cinder block walls. Not sure if this stuff adheres enough to take paint off upon removal? Want to give customer as much information as I can.

In addition - anyone have any links to application tools they use when applying to brick (aside a heat gun). Rollers, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
We sell DPF8000 and have a promotional 2' x 3' sticker stuck on our painted cinder block wall and it has been up for about 8 years. We didn't use a heat gun so the spaces between the cinder blocks has popped up over time. As for the rest of the print it is stuck on there like there is no tomorrow. I would be willing to bet the paint will be affected. We didn't laminate it but we also don't have large groups of people coming in and out and touching it. That would be my only concern when it comes to not laminating.

Last edited:

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
We sell DPF8000 and have a promotional 2' x 3' sticker stuck on our painted cinder block wall and it has been up for about 8 years. We didn't use a heat gun so the spaces between the cinder blocks has popped up over time. As for the rest of the print it is stuck on there like there is no tomorrow. I would be willing to bet the paint will be affected. We didn't laminate it but we also don't have large groups of people coming in and out and touching it. That would be my only concern when it comes to not laminating.

Sounds great - thanks for the reply. The application area would literally see little to no activity as it would largely be out of reach to any person - strictly display purposes - so would be ok with no lam?

Any suggestions on "must-have" application tools when installing this stuff? Thanks!

boxerbay

DPF8000 is super sticky. be sure you want it to be where you want it because if you pop it up to adjust you will probably eggshell the paint. You should laminate it to give it some better body to make install easier.

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
DPF8000 is super sticky. be sure you want it to be where you want it because if you pop it up to adjust you will probably eggshell the paint. You should laminate it to give it some better body to make install easier.

Would an Oracal 210 lam or something similar suffice? I know about staying brand to brand with media and lam - but any clear gloss lam work?

Thanks!

boxerbay

the lam depends on what the job requires. I am not familiar with oracal 210. oracal 290G is optically clear cast. might be overkill for this job. if the job is in a high traffic area maybe use a 5mil polycarb lam for durability. or maybe a GF231 which is a cast with UV laminate. We did a school hallway on oracal 3105HT + 5mil polycarbonate lam. this way its very durable and can be cleaned with mild detergents.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
the lam depends on what the job requires. I am not familiar with oracal 210. oracal 290G is optically clear cast. might be overkill for this job. if the job is in a high traffic area maybe use a 5mil polycarb lam for durability. or maybe a GF231 which is a cast with UV laminate. We did a school hallway on oracal 3105HT + 5mil polycarbonate lam. this way its very durable and can be cleaned with mild detergents.

290 without the G is the 2 Mil Cast Gloss, I would not recommend polycard for his application since he is wrapping cinder block the polycarb will not conform.

pjfmeister

My only complaint with the Arlon DPF800 is the difficulty printing....the adhesive oozes out the edges of the vinyl. I have had it jam the media so bad that it crashed my printer and I had to replace the main board. So watch it close when printing .... the adhesive also gets all over your laminator and then onto your next print job....messy stuff. But it is great for high-tac decals. We have been using PanoRama Walk & Wall lately for sidewalk and parking lot decals and getting much better results and longer lifespan than the DPF8000. This stuff is very textured and you don't laminate....very cool material.

Fake

Anyone use the Arlon dpf 8000 for cinder block application? I've searched the forum already but didn't see anything in regard to lamination with this media - I normally laminate pretty much everything that leaves my office - but is lamination required using this media?

I have a request to do locker room graphics on painted cinder block walls. Not sure if this stuff adheres enough to take paint off upon removal? Want to give customer as much information as I can.

In addition - anyone have any links to application tools they use when applying to brick (aside a heat gun). Rollers, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

I know this is super late and you most likely have done it, but the 8000 is a great film and yeah the adhesive is aggressive AF. Takes everything off on removal, but stays stuck. We use with (with appropriate non-slip lam) as road graphic films for short term road graphics. Not being a cast film, you're never going to get great mortar line work unless you put loads of heat into the install, but even then over time it will pop out and look worse than not attempting to get them into the mortar joins.

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
What is a common per square foot charge for laminated Arlon 8000 - ballpark? I know a full wrap would be different then a cut contoured logo for instance - any ideas? Interior finder block/weight room installation. Thank you!

Fake

What is a common per square foot charge for laminated Arlon 8000 - ballpark? I know a full wrap would be different then a cut contoured logo for instance - any ideas? Interior finder block/weight room installation. Thank you!

We quote anywhere between $8-$12 USD / sq ft installed. It really depends on the size of the job, if it’s small the sq ft rate is much higher.

Guessing that’s probably high, but our clients aren’t price sensitive on the whole.

We try not to compete on price - you always end up killing margin and profitability, charge what you feel your service and product is worth.