Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brief Introduction

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jbq7448, Feb 25, 2007.

1. jbq7448

jbq7448 Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Hi,
    We are a husband and wife home-based Graphic Design firm in the Maryland suburbs north of Washington,DC. and have been in business for 14 years. We are much more print oriented and only do very minor amounts of web design.

We recently purchased a Designjet 3000cp, Daige Quickmount 3 laminator and Flexi-sign Pro 7.62 from a local sign shop that closed up shop when the landlord tripled the rent. Our intent is not to go into a full-blown sign shop, but to just be able to supply our clientele with additional in-house capabilities; ie, posters, tradeshow graphics and other large inkjet materials.

As we are home-based and do not anticipate that changing, we will probably not ever be considering solvent inkjet output. I don't think the homeowner association would go for that.

I anticipate that we will be looking for assistance in some material choices and some assistance as we feel our way into Flexisign. In return we can offer our lengthy experience with Adobe products.(We started with Pagemaker 3.0 running on runtime Windows 2 and are currently using Adobe Creative Suite 2 Premium).

Our current 2 issues that we could use advice on are: 1) mounting board that offers more durability than foam-core, but that can still be cut easily with a hand-held knife.( We had also purchased an Exacto Pro-Cut Elite 63" but have found we don't have sufficient room to set it up.)
    2)Our final layouts are usually done in InDesign and then exported as either a pdf or eps for use in Flexi. We find that we have to re-spec all the colors in Flexi in order to get output that is not way too black. If anyone can advise us as to how to get Flexi to recognize the colors correctly so we don't have to select each item and re-color it, that would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Tags:
  2. ENTDesign

ENTDesign Very Active Member

May 12, 2005
    Welcome

3. hol

hol New Member

Oct 26, 2005
    Welcome to the forum!

4. Pro Image

Pro Image Major Contributor

Nov 28, 2005
    Welcome from VA...................

5. vinylbarry

vinylbarry Active Member

Jun 6, 2006
    :Welcome: to :signs101: from Ky............
    Barry:peace!:

6. Geary

Geary Very Active Member

Howdy!

Welcome, from 2,745 miles away! :Welcome:
    (I have a buddy that drove from my house to Westminster, MD and that's what he told me....LOL )

~Gear

7. Creative_Lance

Creative_Lance Very Active Member

Nov 15, 2006
    USA
    Welcome!

8. Sign Prophet

Sign Prophet Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Welcome from Long Beach, California

9. Mike Paul

Mike Paul Major Contributor

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
    Welcome for NJ

10. mladams7259

mladams7259 Very Active Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Welcome Aboard!

11. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Welcome from PA.

I think you need to look into color management and ICC profiles for your printer.

12. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Another welcome from PA.

13. skyhigh

skyhigh Major Contributor

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    and yet another welcome from the Keystone state.

14. SirSlarty

SirSlarty Member

Jan 23, 2006
    A third welcome from PA

15. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    Welcome from the Pacific Northwest . . .

I agree with Signage - You need to learn about ICM/ICC profiles

and also about Ink density limits . . . You can find a lot of this information

already by using the search feature of this forum - Good Luck !

16. gvgraphics

gvgraphics Very Active Member

Mar 23, 2006
    And yet a fifth Welcome from PA.

17. RJ California

RJ California Active Member

Jul 19, 2005
    California
    Welcome

18. jbq7448

jbq7448 Member

Feb 25, 2007
    I will do some searching on ink density - there isn't much about it in the Flexi documentation.

As far as the icc profiles go they are limited to a few for some of HP's own materials and they semm to work ok when I reassign colors in Flexi.

A simple example of what I am experiencing would be: suppose we draw a box in Illustrator and spec a fill of Pantone 072 blue and save this as an eps. I then open that eps in Flexi and print to the designjet using icc profiles, that 072 will print as nearly black. But if I select the rectangle in Flexi and spec it as 072 in Flexi it will print correctly. It is as if somewhere Flexi is adding alot of black globally to any imported graphic and will only be correct if everything is re-speced once it is in Flexi.

Also does anyone have any experience with Profile Prism by DIDIsoftware.
    Alot of photographers seem to be using it as a low cost solution for profiling different media for Designjet 90's and such.

Thanks

19. The Big Squeegee

The Big Squeegee Major Contributor

Welcome from Oklahoma!

:Welcome: to :signs101:
    You can also find more information on profiles on the printingdigital.net web forum. click on the banner at the bottom of this page.​

20. sandblast_dude

sandblast_dude Member

Feb 1, 2006
    Hello and welcome to the forum.