• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Brief Introduction

jbq7448

Hi,
We are a husband and wife home-based Graphic Design firm in the Maryland suburbs north of Washington,DC. and have been in business for 14 years. We are much more print oriented and only do very minor amounts of web design.

We recently purchased a Designjet 3000cp, Daige Quickmount 3 laminator and Flexi-sign Pro 7.62 from a local sign shop that closed up shop when the landlord tripled the rent. Our intent is not to go into a full-blown sign shop, but to just be able to supply our clientele with additional in-house capabilities; ie, posters, tradeshow graphics and other large inkjet materials.

As we are home-based and do not anticipate that changing, we will probably not ever be considering solvent inkjet output. I don't think the homeowner association would go for that.

I anticipate that we will be looking for assistance in some material choices and some assistance as we feel our way into Flexisign. In return we can offer our lengthy experience with Adobe products.(We started with Pagemaker 3.0 running on runtime Windows 2 and are currently using Adobe Creative Suite 2 Premium).

Our current 2 issues that we could use advice on are: 1) mounting board that offers more durability than foam-core, but that can still be cut easily with a hand-held knife.( We had also purchased an Exacto Pro-Cut Elite 63" but have found we don't have sufficient room to set it up.)
2)Our final layouts are usually done in InDesign and then exported as either a pdf or eps for use in Flexi. We find that we have to re-spec all the colors in Flexi in order to get output that is not way too black. If anyone can advise us as to how to get Flexi to recognize the colors correctly so we don't have to select each item and re-color it, that would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Geary

Howdy!

Welcome, from 2,745 miles away! :Welcome:
(I have a buddy that drove from my house to Westminster, MD and that's what he told me....LOL )

~Gear

Replicator

Welcome from the Pacific Northwest . . .

I agree with Signage - You need to learn about ICM/ICC profiles

and also about Ink density limits . . . You can find a lot of this information

already by using the search feature of this forum - Good Luck !

jbq7448

I will do some searching on ink density - there isn't much about it in the Flexi documentation.

As far as the icc profiles go they are limited to a few for some of HP's own materials and they semm to work ok when I reassign colors in Flexi.

A simple example of what I am experiencing would be: suppose we draw a box in Illustrator and spec a fill of Pantone 072 blue and save this as an eps. I then open that eps in Flexi and print to the designjet using icc profiles, that 072 will print as nearly black. But if I select the rectangle in Flexi and spec it as 072 in Flexi it will print correctly. It is as if somewhere Flexi is adding alot of black globally to any imported graphic and will only be correct if everything is re-speced once it is in Flexi.

Also does anyone have any experience with Profile Prism by DIDIsoftware.
Alot of photographers seem to be using it as a low cost solution for profiling different media for Designjet 90's and such.

Thanks

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome from Oklahoma!

:Welcome: to :signs101:
You can also find more information on profiles on the printingdigital.net web forum. click on the banner at the bottom of this page.​