• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bringing a head back to life!!! You have to check this out!

MrSalumi

It seems fitting that the day before Halloween I would be bringing something back from the dead. Here is the story and how it all unraveled. Spoiler alert!! There’s good news at the end.

So a few weeks back I had a head strike on my Roland SJ540 that jammed up some banner material and was on my A bank of heads (black for me). Soon after I began noticing very erratic prints especially in black. My test prints we good, then bad, then good again. Finally they looked horrible and after a bidirectional recalibration I could only get a solid black line if I printed uni-directionally and at a speed of 500 or less.

Needless to say something was wrong. After asking around and showing my test print to some different people I realized that I had some VERY bad deflection going on in my black head. I tried cleaning it using the head cleaning cycle on the machine both on medium and powerful modes. Nothing changed.

SO I called my dealer and asked what retail on a new head was.. OUCH!! Over a grand! Now get this… My dealer suggested that I try something that a customer had just told him about the week prior. He said to run cleaning solution through the head and actually print cleaning solution on to crappy media to get the crystals in the head shaking properly while they are being cleaned. It seemed a bit wonky but what the He((? I had nothing to lose right?

So today I decided that I would give it a go. Since I am running a Triangle Bulk ink system and only printing in CMKY that left two reservoirs and ink cartridges available. So I filled one reservoir with flush and switched the black cartridges to the new flush cartridges. After printing some solid black I noticed that I was losing pressure for whatever reason and got total dropout at one point. I pulled the dampers and sucked fluid through them using a syringe until I got clearish flush all the way to the damper. Times two of course.

I printed in total about 10 square feet of flush on some scrap banner that I had laying around. It was awful smelling and pretty messy on the material but I could see tiny specks of what looked like ink clots spraying out. Not a lot of them but in total probably 15-20 of them.

I reversed the entire process back to my black ink and M0THERFU(KER it worked!!!

Look at these before and after photos. They tell the story themselves!! I am so happy and thankful that I don’t have to buy another head and can get back to making money!!!

I thought I would share so if anyone else could benefit from trying this for themselves.

Cheers,
Sal

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 226
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 204
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 209
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 182

Jack Knight1979

holy smokes! I wish I knew about this years ago. I'll be giving this a shot next time. Too bad I just tossed a print head that was ghosting.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Print test looks great :thumb:

I know Triangle ink is much hotter but I doubt it would work w/ mild solvent like Roland's
Eco-sol Max ink to that extent. Would be great if it did though...

MrSalumi

Good work. You owe yourself a beer. :beer

Haha! I am having one as we speak! I should clarify though that I don't run Triangle ink through my printer. I just have the bulk system that is made by them. I run Bordeaux PRMS3 for a Mimaki of all things!!!

Frankenstein I know but it works and it works cheap!!

wwpro

A week too late, but awesome tip nonetheless !!

I have a SP300v with the EXACT same symptoms, replacing the CK carts with cleaning carts and printing bands of 100% Cyan and black would result in the same or am I mixing stuff here?
Thanks for sharing this tip here !

Octane1

Just tried...no luck

I just tried the same procedure and spent a lot of time, cleaning fluid and ink to flush it and got nearly no results.

Boy, I was really looking forward to nice, clean prints again! My black head doesn't look as bad as his and I got nothing...

Chalk it up to experience, I guess. That was disappointing...

Chris

player

I just tried the same procedure and spent a lot of time, cleaning fluid and ink to flush it and got nearly no results.

Boy, I was really looking forward to nice, clean prints again! My black head doesn't look as bad as his and I got nothing...

Chalk it up to experience, I guess. That was disappointing...

Chris

Did you print with the cleaner?

Would you please give me more detail as to the steps you took?

Thanks