• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Bringing A Mutoh Prismjet Back To Life After 3 Years.

czwalga

So I purchased a Mutoh prismjet extra 48 second hand, print shop was upgrading. It seems to have the same parts as a rockhopper or falcon outdoor. The machine has sat for several years and I started it up last night. I'm wondering how you would proceed. The lines were flushed and ran with cleaning fluid before shutdown. It seems like the lines are good, but not sure how to confirm for sure.

1. Should i just not even try to salvage the parts, replace the heads, dampers, and entire maintenance station?

2. It was just printing all blue, now I've got some black. 4 out of the 6 dampers have fresh ink in them, 1 the catridge is just empty, not sure about the last one. Is this a sign the heads are ruined? SInce its not printing any red even though I can see fresh ink in the damper?

3. Any other suggestions for cleaning or what I should try?

4. Stupid newbie question... do I need cleaning cartridges for all 6 ink slots? Unless I have a cartridge in all 6 slots it wont let me do much of anything.

Attachments

• 20170315_211751.jpg
    20170315_211751.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 193

JasonMeisnerSTS

First thing is first, do a nozzle check to see what heads you have firing. Secondly, you may need a new head depending on the results. to do a head clean, you must have ink in all of the channels. also to do a flush, one cleaning cartridge per channel is needed. keep me up to date and call me directly for assistance. I can supply you with anything you need for that printer and also have certified Mutoh techs in house.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I'm wondering how you would proceed.

I would try to get some money back by recycling the metal. It's, one of the worst solvent machines ever built and that's saying a lot as I am a big fan of Mutoh in general. Even when they were in service, I know many fellow techs who refused to work on them due to them being so finicky. They don't make parts and print heads for it anymore either.

czwalga

They may not manufacture them, but I can still find them pretty cheap. If I can get 2-3 years out of the printer I'd be happy.

STS thanks, I think i'm going to need new heads.