• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Briteline vinyl?

Lauren

Hi everyone, looking for some feedback from any of you who have used Briteline vinyl (Grimco's house brand). We have been using Oracal 651 and my Grimco rep is suggesting Briteline instead because it is less expensive. It makes me nervous to try something that is not "name brand". Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

Pat Whatley

Short term signs, coro yard signs, banners, etc. the Briteline stuff works great. It's glossier than Oracal, cuts and weeds beautifully, and applies like any other vinyl.

Long term.....the stuff shrinks in the sun. A lot. Don't even think about using it for long term stuff.

If the vinyl sticks to itself go ahead and throw it away....it bonds to itself like superglue.

The biggest difference though is the adhesive. Oracal is a little forgiving and it you have to peel it off a sign it removes cleanly. Briteline will fight you every inch of the way, leave every bit of adhesive behind, and adhesive removers don't work as well on it as they do on other vinyls.

OldPaint

been a SHINE-RITE user for last 5-6 years..........BRITELINE is the same as SHINE RITE...... these are GMI calendared vinyl. i have stuff out there 4-5 years old....NO PROBLEM. like pats says....DO NO LET YOUR WEEDED VINYL TOUCH WHAT YOU WANT TO USE.....stuff sticks!!!!!

Lauren

Thanks so much for the feedback! I ended up ordering a roll to try today...we'll see how it goes.

rookie1178

Short term signs, coro yard signs, banners, etc. the Briteline stuff works great. It's glossier than Oracal, cuts and weeds beautifully, and applies like any other vinyl.

Long term.....the stuff shrinks in the sun. A lot. Don't even think about using it for long term stuff.

If the vinyl sticks to itself go ahead and throw it away....it bonds to itself like superglue.

The biggest difference though is the adhesive. Oracal is a little forgiving and it you have to peel it off a sign it removes cleanly. Briteline will fight you every inch of the way, leave every bit of adhesive behind, and adhesive removers don't work as well on it as they do on other vinyls.

Wow , that is some really aggressive adhesive. Given that and the extreme shrinkage in sunlight, why would anyone use it over Oracal 651 seeing as they are similarly priced?

studebaker

Deluded Artist
Grimco's Briteline print vinyl is manufactured here in the US by KAPCO (Kent Adhesive Products Company). I have been buying the Kapco products for years and really appreciate their air release print vinyl for $187.00 per roll with free shipping.

Pat Whatley

Wow , that is some really aggressive adhesive. Given that and the extreme shrinkage in sunlight, why would anyone use it over Oracal 651 seeing as they are similarly priced?

I pay $60 for a 24" x 50yd roll of Shine-rite. I pay $95 for a roll of 651. Considering we used over 100 rolls of Shine-rite last year that's a pretty big difference. Around 70% of what we crank out of here is very short term stuff....convention sponsor signs, real estate signs, golf tournament signs, etc. It's used and tossed long before the vinyl shows any shrinkage.

OldPaint

i need to add that this stuff, either BRITELINE/SHINERITE will last a lot longer then ya think. i have TREE SERVICE companies....who buy used truck, that aint pretty cause of the rough service they get.......ALL LETTERED WITH SHINERITE/BRITELINE...... 5-6 years out there!!! shrinkage and fading are not the worst for these trucks....tree limbs, bobcat attacks and general "i dont give a crap" if i hit the lettering attitude.....i get a call i need some door lettering, i cut it, tape it hand it to the owner))))))))

phototec

Thanks so much for the feedback! I ended up ordering a roll to try today...we'll see how it goes.

I know this thread is old, however I just wanted to check on what Lauren decided after trying the BriteLine from Grimco.

Also, they sent me a flyer TODAY, (Friday Special) and they offer some printable vinyl's, anyone use these?

Attachments

• Grimco BriteLine Sale 10-2-2015.jpg
    Grimco BriteLine Sale 10-2-2015.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 334
There are alot of different types of briteline vinyl.

We use:
IM3203-white
IM3205-Clear
BLV02- Black

All have worked great. Long term durable. I am able to pull the vinyl off (it is tougher then 3M or Oracal) but a little denatured alcohol takes any adhesive right off. The white printable shrinks alot more then the white vinyl for cutting plotters. The plottable version we used to have also comes with a blue backer.