• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Brushed aluminum finish overlay

Victorian Signs

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A GOOD SOURCE TO PURCHASE 4' X 8' OUTDOOR U/V LAMINATE. I HAVE A PROJECT THAT REQUIRES GLUEING TO PVC KOMATEX SURFACE FOR AN OUTDOOR DIMENSIONAL SIGNAGE

THANKS FOR THE HELP.............:thumb:

SignosaurusRex

If your looking for 4'x8' brushed aluminum laminate that will hold up outdoors laminated to Komatex, you might look at Chemetal's 900 series brushed aluminum finish #902 or light stainless steel aluminum #927. For this application I'd avoid the Lam's with a phenolic or HPL back.
http://www.chemetalco.com/finishes.htm

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Just a bit of warning on Chemetal - they only recommend interior use only. I hear people spraying a clear over it, but have seen that fail too.

http://www.chemetalco.com/documents/Chemetal_2009_Tech_Data.pdf (check out page 2)

You would be better off using a higher grade stainless steel as long as the client knows the difference.. if this is going out to competitive bid, hopefully you are not going against someone using an inferior product... hard to compete on price when someone is using a cheaper product like interior aluminum.

SignosaurusRex

Just a bit of warning on Chemetal - they only recommend interior use only. I hear people spraying a clear over it, but have seen that fail too.

http://www.chemetalco.com/documents/Chemetal_2009_Tech_Data.pdf (check out page 2)

You would be better off using a higher grade stainless steel as long as the client knows the difference.. if this is going out to competitive bid, hopefully you are not going against someone using an inferior product... hard to compete on price when someone is using a cheaper product like interior aluminum.
You are correct Rick that Chemetal does not recommend its products for exterior use and I agree, with the exception of any non-colored, plain back material in the 900 series such as the #902 and #927 I mentioned. I have been using them for pushing 25 years, and yes exterior app's without a single issue.

Rick

I have called Chemetal at one point a few months ago because a client of mine took a job using a Chemetal Laminate for a complete apartment signage sign system (against my recommendation). Over 150 k worth of signs, they insisted interior use only for all their products. This is 1 year after installation, aluminum deterioration with a clearcoat face and epoxy coating on back.

For the years you ( and I hear a few others including the sign company that did the failed job) have been doing it without failure, I have the same years seeing many failures. My job is lots of spec writing for large sign jobs, if it has no exterior usage and does not have a certain rating or quality specification, it's going to be a risky product to use for exterior use.

Read the fine print, proceed knowing the possibilities...

Rick

Jhill is correct.. Wrisco is one... looking through my books Alcoa's Reynobond is another.. there are a few more but those can be a bit more than a higher grade, thin sheet brushed stainless laminate. (at least the prices a have seen in the past)