• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Brushed aluminum sign a good idea?

laserfred

Hey there,

For an appartment complex, the client would like to replace the signage in the parking around the buildings (phases 1 & 2). So lots of directional signs to be placed. They would like the signage style to match the interior signs, which is made of brushed aluminum alupanel (or Diebond). Some signs are 4 to 6 feet wide. I am wondering if the brushed metal finish might be too reflective for exterior and cause glaring problems. What do you think ?
thanks

bigben

I've used it on few indoor sign without any problem (whole signage of buildings). The customers like it alot. The ''reflective'' part is not a problem.

2B

I used it on a 4x8 sign for a car dealership once.. I too was worried about the reflecting in people's faces as they drove down the main drag. Nope, wasn't that at all, looked fine and had no problems. Lasted about 6-7 years before it started to look dingy too. https://www.google.com/maps/@32.501...Ep-mybEQ!2e0!5s20130601T000000!7i13312!8i6656

RANT:
why do they (insert customer) bother with a sign if they are going to "hide it" with streamers and other "fluff"

rjssigns

Did a 4x8 panel for a local village and used brushed stainless DiBond. Out in the weather 24/7 and potentially getting sprayed by salty slush from cars and plows. Figured the extra cost was worth it.

Andy D

Disregard the gunk, I'm still cleaning it up, this is a push through where, before I routed
the brushed max-metal, I covered it with printed and laminated clear vinyl. I am very pleased
with the outcome...you can't tell from the picture, but while it does cut down on the graining some, when
you walk pass it has an iridescent shimmer.

upload_2019-11-20_14-12-2.png

laserfred

Disregard the gunk, I'm still cleaning it up, this is a push through where, before I routed
the brushed max-metal, I covered it with printed and laminated clear vinyl. I am very pleased
with the outcome...you can't tell from the picture, but while it does cut down on the graining some, when
you walk pass it has an iridescent shimmer.

View attachment 144077
It's a really easy material to work with. You can even fold it in boxes using v-groove routing!

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Not an issue, we do lots of it. We did an entire industrial park, all the building signs are full 4'x8' brushed silver acm with standoffs

Attachments

• brushed.jpg
    brushed.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 159
  • Agree
Reactions: 2B

Andy D

It's a really easy material to work with. You can even fold it in boxes using v-groove routing!
Yep, that's what I did, I had to do a bunch of tests on scrap to get it right, but it came out nice. once I get it done and installed I will post picks.