Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brushed aluminum sign a good idea?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by laserfred, Nov 20, 2019.

1. laserfred

laserfred Member

Hey there,

For an appartment complex, the client would like to replace the signage in the parking around the buildings (phases 1 & 2). So lots of directional signs to be placed. They would like the signage style to match the interior signs, which is made of brushed aluminum alupanel (or Diebond). Some signs are 4 to 6 feet wide. I am wondering if the brushed metal finish might be too reflective for exterior and cause glaring problems. What do you think ?
    thanks

Tags:
  2. bigben

bigben Very Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    I've used it on few indoor sign without any problem (whole signage of buildings). The customers like it alot. The ''reflective'' part is not a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bannertime

bannertime Very Active Member

Sep 8, 2016
    No
    When in doubt, take samples to the customer. I don't think it'd be a problem. Laminators Inc brushed metal isn't that glossy.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    RANT:
    why do they (insert customer) bother with a sign if they are going to "hide it" with streamers and other "fluff"

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Did a 4x8 panel for a local village and used brushed stainless DiBond. Out in the weather 24/7 and potentially getting sprayed by salty slush from cars and plows. Figured the extra cost was worth it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Disregard the gunk, I'm still cleaning it up, this is a push through where, before I routed
    the brushed max-metal, I covered it with printed and laminated clear vinyl. I am very pleased
    with the outcome...you can't tell from the picture, but while it does cut down on the graining some, when
    you walk pass it has an iridescent shimmer.

upload_2019-11-20_14-12-2.png

• Like Like x 5
  8. laserfred

laserfred Member

It's a really easy material to work with. You can even fold it in boxes using v-groove routing!

9. eahicks

eahicks Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    Not an issue, we do lots of it. We did an entire industrial park, all the building signs are full 4'x8' brushed silver acm with standoffs

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Yep, that's what I did, I had to do a bunch of tests on scrap to get it right, but it came out nice. once I get it done and installed I will post picks.