• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Brushed Metal Background

lavish909

First off I hope this is in the right section. I need to create a Brushed Metal Background for a Box truck Wrap 85"x145" and was wondering what's the best way to go about this. I was taking a smaller 300 dpi image and scaling it up to size at 150 dpi but it looks really bad. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong or what to do right? Again sorry if this is the wrong section. :thankyou:

Salmoneye

don't just scale it up, res it up! Some photography books give good advice for ressing up images in PS. We have had pretty good luck with them. I have also used a nice vector drawing of brushed metal before, don't know what it would look like that large.

3M just came out with a brushed metal wrapping cast in thew 1080 line. It looks amazing and even has the texture. It comes in 4-5 different colors. PM me and ill let you know who has it in your area.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
You can also make it in Photoshop with the noise filter, then motion blur, then in Illustrator, you can put a gradient on top of it, then "opacity" and "multiply" and color it anyway you need...

lavish909

So I think I have a decent design done, now my question is when laying the the wrap i'll probably have to do it in a couple panels, whats the trick to getting the brushed metal to overlap properly? The brushed metal I am using kinda has a skew to it so that might make it even harder to apply? Any thoughts?

iSign

So I think I have a decent design done, now my question is when laying the the wrap i'll probably have to do it in a couple panels, whats the trick to getting the brushed metal to overlap properly? The brushed metal I am using kinda has a skew to it so that might make it even harder to apply? Any thoughts?

Two thoughts... First, remember it is just a wrap! Even vehicle manufacturers have to tolerate seams and joints... This is not a hand painted mural& while perfectionism can be an asset in this industry, it is still wise to recognize that it is unattainable!

Second... Maybe print a fine line at your overlap, so even with a half inch or more lap, you can see exactly where you WANT to be... but don't stress if you're a little off either, as no seam is invisible but an average viewers eyes will look right past that

lavish909

I appreciate your words of wisdom iSign, I think my biggest problem is trying to make it perfect in a imperfect world! lol