• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

brushed metal look for wrap

waximoff

Hey everyone,
I posted a few days ago looking for that Subaru template, well that guy is send ing this car down to SEMA and finally got his artwork over to me today. Turns out he wants the Cars base color to be a brushed Aluminum look. They way his artist did the wrap, the metalic is mainly down the sides of the body and top of hood.
Anyone ever lay down ink on this? Or even try to get it to conform to some curves?

waximoff

I've played with that in the past , and I ran that by him. But he was looking to something more like "VinylEfx" brushed silver metallic.

the vinylefx stuff as far as i know is for flat surfaces only, they don't recommend it for any curves. signosaurus may have your answer above.

petesign

I don't see how you could print on it. I have a sample of it here, and it has so much texture, laminating would be a nightmare and never work.

Never tried it, but wonder if you could put it on top of other vinyl or put it down first in the areas you want that look, and seam IJ180 over it about an inch (using edge sealer) where you need logos?

waximoff

not a bad idea pete.. Sounds like a lot of work for the small amount of time he's givin me to finish before the show.. I'm going to have to try selling him on the printed look of it instead I think,

Anicom

It is printable, I've printed on both the outdoor and the inexpensive indoor products. The only issues we've had are that you cannot have print on the edge or it will lift(we've used clear vinyl tapeto get around this in some instances) and I have used it with an Epson GS6000 that doesn't put down opaque ink so that any light colours will let the brushed silver look come through. I don't know about contours as we've only ever put these on Sintra panels.

Attachments

• IMG_0357.jpg
    IMG_0357.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 94

Anicom

Thanks, no laminate as they are solvent print and are up high so noone can touch them. You'll notice them in dozens of airports around North America in Hudson News locations, sent out about 230 panels late last year...have held up great since then.

The brushed look through the orange is very cool and the black is nearly 100% opaque. The other issue with this stuff is that it is quite delicate, one step away from being tinfoil. I lay down the one-offs by hand very carefully but if I have a big run I laminate this stuff on and it usually works like a charm.

Bly

There's a Hexis brushed ally look wrap film.
Not sure if you can print on it. It feels too textured to laminate.