• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bubbles in 1shot paint

ElizabethJulia

Hey all,
I'm really new to working with 1shot enamel paint, and I'm running into 1 problem consistently. When I paint any larger area I'm getting tiny little bubbles and imperfections in the paint. It's driving me absolutely crazy because otherwise the surface is so beautiful. Now I'm not using sign painter's brushes specifically but they are brushes designed for oil based paint. I can't imagine that's the variable at play, but I also can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. The surfaces are clean and prepped. This even happens when I try painting a second coat. I am pretty desperate, so I would appreciate any information on what I might be doing wrong. Thanks!!!

GVP

What are you thinning it with? Are the brushes dry before use? When you say cleaned and prepped - what are you doing?

SignosaurusRex

Assuming that your substrate is well and properly prepped.....

1). Invest in some top quality "Lettering Quills" and "Flats". They make all the difference in the world.

2). Make sure your brushes are very well cleaned and dry every time before you use them with your 1-Shot enamel. Any residual brush preservatives or oils left in the brush will contaminate your paint and final finish. Using your desired paint reducer / thinner as a final cleaner before wetting the brush with paint is helpful.

3). Reduce / Thin your 1-Shot with Turpentine rather than regular paint thinner. I find that 1-Shot reducer will also leaves bubbles.
Note: Low Odor and the other "enviro-friendly" thinners are crap and more problems.
4). Do not use any silicone based additives such as "Smoothie" in order to reduce bubbles or fish- eye issues. They will only reduce adhesion and create other problems down the road.

5). Adding a very small amount of "Penetrol" to your paint before reducing / thinning will also help the flow and bubble reduction. DO NOT confuse "Penetrol" with "Flowtrol"!!! "Flowtrol" is for latex and water-based paints'

6). Make sure that you are not overly reducing / thinning your paint. The consistency (as best as I can describe) should be that of a warm or day old Milkshake.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I thought you were talking about lettering, until you said second coat. What exactly are you painting ?? Are you coating out a substrate...... or are you having these problems while lettering ??

Bulletin is used for backgrounds and lettering enamels are for the actual lettering.

Please identify this.

visual800

Im confused also, is she coating out a 4x8 with a quill or lettering...lol. Could be dust contamination of first coat (yes Ive seen that) Could be the cheap brush you are using belive it or not.

Heres my advice going off your original post. Take the one shot and throw it in the trash and start using latex paints. DO NOT buy any additives for one shot that are made by one shot, throw those away also. One shot SUCKS and is nothing but a waste of time and money

Johnny Best

A picture would really help in finding out your problem. Sounds like contamination of the surface you are painting. Use a tack rag next time after you scuff the surface with some sandpaper. Are they actually bubbles or small round spots scattered over the surface. How big an area are you covering. Also a pic of your brush and the can of paint your using.
When using foam rollers to lay done a background using bulletin paint you will get tiny bubbles, but you come back with the roller after a minute or so and very lightly roll them down to a smooth finish.

ElizabethJulia

Thank you so much for replying to my post! This is very helpful. I imagine that I was contaminating the paint with oil on my brush as you suggested. I was also using the 1 shot reducer Chromaflo. I'll try switching that out for turpentine, to see if those things will fix my problem. I'm also gonna bite the bullet and buy a couple sign painter brushes.

As for questions about what I'm painting. Sorry I was sort of intentionally vague. I'm not actually painting a sign, I'm a sculptor. I've been experimenting with using 1shot to coat some surfaces of my sculptures. It's really quite beautiful paint, and I appreciate you all helping me out with these suggestions. I don't actually know anyone IRL who uses these substances.

Billct2

Do you have much experience using oil based paints. For what you are doing it doesn't sound like you need lettering brushes, just good quality brushes for oil paint. There is a technique to going back and stroking the paint just enough to smooth it out without ruining the finish with brush marks. Takes a bit of practice.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not sure what your schulpting,, as this isn't a sculptor's forum, but most surfaces in your sscope of work are usually somewhat porous. Therefore, if you are scrubbing the paint on, it's gonna bubble up on ya. Lettering is usually performed with methodical determined strokes to form the letter and move to the next area/letter, hence the name 1shot. For the most part, the surface is smooth and glossy like the paint job on a car or a piece of glass. When boards are painted out, the will also become glossy and be suitable for lettering, regardless of which brand of lettering paints you use.

I would venture to say, the real question here is, what is the surface like you are painting on. That will most likely solve your bubbles. Brush/fisheye contamination will only last a short while, until that oil is worked outta the brush. If properly paletted, that only takes a few minutes.

I'd imagine most of your techniques are wrong for this type of paint to be used. Perhaps some other kinda paint will serve you better. Why not seach on a schulpting forum and see what those professionals use ??

JimmyG

For what you are doing it doesn't sound like you need lettering brushes, just good quality brushes for oil paint.
There is a technique to going back and stroking the paint just enough to smooth it out without ruining the finish with brush marks. Takes a bit of practice.
This is exactly what I do, and I paint all sortsa stuff with 1-Shot. It is done best with a new dry clean brush. After an even paint film is applied and the bubbles start showing, very lightly brush the paint area in one direction. This will "pop" the bubbles and allow the 1-shot to level out evenly. You have to use turpentine or the proper 1 shot reducer to allow for adequate "level" time before the paint film flashes off and trap the bubbles.
I have roller coated large areas with 1-shot for Years & years and used this method to achieve a glossy bubble free surface most always...It's a matter of timing and practice.

Johnny Best

bubbles.jpg