• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bubbles in Dibond Mounts

T-Square_WPB

We have a client that will supply us with 1/8 non-textured dibond and prints they have done on 35# coated matte and gloss paper. Dibond is cut to size and still has liner on it. Liner is removed, we then place mounting adhesive on the dibond and mount the print as normally is done using an Orca 1. Then laminate with a 3mil gloss. Have done both cold and hot laminate. Client called today, projects done in February are showing bubbles. What would cause bubbling after 6 months?!?!?

andy

What kind of mounting adhesive?

Do you wipe the Dibond with IPA before applying adhesive?

Where are the finished panels used? Inside or out?

Why paper? Paper has no "give".... whilst Dibond is pretty dimensionally stable it will still expand & contract albeit very slightly.

Using paper prints on a fairly expensive substrate like Dibond seems a bit odd.

T-Square_WPB

What kind of mounting adhesive?

Do you wipe the Dibond with IPA before applying adhesive?

Where are the finished panels used? Inside or out?

Why paper? Paper has no "give".... whilst Dibond is pretty dimensionally stable it will still expand & contract albeit very slightly.

Using paper prints on a fairly expensive substrate like Dibond seems a bit odd.

Using 51"x250' roll of GBC Duramount. Same I use for mounting on foam, gator, sintra, coroplast, CS2, Cresent Board. The Dibond is not touched with anything once the release liner is taken off. We put adhesive directly to Dibond.

Customer wanted to use paper, just their preference. We are attempting to have projects done direct print, but just not getting a real good resolution with the GT350. With this being fine art, they are somewhat picky. These are all inside pieces.

heyskull

Over the last few months we have had a couple of jobs that bubbled after applying on Alluminium composite.
It wasn't Dibond but a cheaper Chinese material.
We thought it was what the panel was painted with reacting with the adhesive on the vinyl.
After a week this had settled.

SC

T-Square_WPB

We have a piece in the office and peeled back an area with the bubbles. The bubbles are between the dibond and mounting adhesive?????

FatCat

This might be caused by some kind of contamination on the substrate. To be safe I always do a quick wipe down with denatured alcohol on dibond/polymetal and PVC/coroplast before applying anything. Even if it has a protective wrapper on it, no telling what might have dripped, splashed or sprayed onto it beforehand during the manufacturing process.

T-Square_WPB

This might be caused by some kind of contamination on the substrate. To be safe I always do a quick wipe down with denatured alcohol on dibond/polymetal and PVC/coroplast before applying anything. Even if it has a protective wrapper on it, no telling what might have dripped, splashed or sprayed onto it beforehand during the manufacturing process.

Good point, I'll start doing this as well.