• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

bubbles in reflective

threeputt

Ok we applied some reflective (Scotchcal 280) on a newly re-painted van. I know, I know, but the client said that the bodyshop cures the paint in an oven and it's fine to go-ahead and do it.

Well, we've got very small, but consistently patterned bubbles all throughout. I'm telling him that they should disappear on their own in time.

Am I correct? Most probably it's got something to do with the paint outgassing through the vinyl, but will it stop on it's own?

There are no adhesion problems evident, just a slightly noticeable bubbleling.

Comments?

MikePro

cured in an oven? i wouldn't be surprised if they threw some heat lamps on it in the spray booth to get it dry enough to hand over to clients. Does your client recall being told not to wax his car for at least a couple of months after paint?

outgassing is still most likely your issue

Gino

Premium Subscriber
My experience is that you can use that answer on cast and even sometimes calendared, but I don't think you can count on most bubbles disappearing with reflective.

RobbyMac

I am not experienced as much with todays materials.
However, back in 95 or so, we did a hauler with a ton of cut reflective on it. Not quite a wrap, but damn close. It would have been 3m material.
A week or so later, it's got a gazillion bubbles in it... Outgassed from the paint. We discussed how to handle replacement (I wasn't involved in the sales dept.), but what I remember was the hauler had to do a tour (This thing was a mini mobile theater and had a schedule to run), and we would handle stripping/replacing when it returned long enough to do the job. Like 3 months later, when it was due to return, the bubbles were gone.
Where'd they go? Dunno. Not sure if we were going to be eating any of the cost in replacement or not, but both parties involved were damn happy the bubbles went away.
This was my first experience with outgassing.

threeputt

Does your client recall being told not to wax his car for at least a couple of months after paint?

outgassing is still most likely your issue

I don't remember him telling me this. My central question, however, remains whether you think they will come out?

SignosaurusRex

I don't remember him telling me this. My central question, however, remains whether you think they will come out?

From your description, I'd say that the paint is still out-gassing at a high levels. The good news is that they might yet come out....the bad news....not likely. If you can, find out what brand and type of paint was used. Unfortunately, BASF/Glasrit paint is notorious for needing an extended "gas-off" time. If it is, I'd suggest removing the vinyl A.S.A.P! Then again, that's his choice seeing as how you wanted to wait but he gave you the go-ahead. If you don't, and wait too long (if it has not yet been "too long") hoping for the bubbles to go away, removal will only become near impossible as the paint will absorb the adhesive (and vice-a-versa) and a repaint will be in order. Good luck Charlies...:covereyes: I feel for ya. But, then again.....I think this one is on the customer.

Mosh

They wll go away, but it does SUCK having to tell a customer that.
Here is your new car, in a week or two it will look good....I know I would want to kick the salesman in the elbow for saying that. Then hit him in the ankle. With a pipe, a hollow one then put sulfur on the wound... that is just me .....

natedawg9640

In my experience, reflective doesn't clear out very well. Tell the customer It might, and if it doesn't and it bothers him, it'll have to be re-done. I presume they were warned in advance about the gassing possibility, and if so, it rides on their shoulders. Redo the job at a discounted rate, but bill accordingly for removal, which will be a PITA.