• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bubbles???

Dice

Ok we recently moved from a HP5500 to a Mamaki jv33-160. Big upgrade and love the Mamaki but are having issues with bubbles when mounting.

We've tried Grimco Brightline, Avery and 3M and all of the 3.4 mil callandered vinyls seem to have issues with bubbles when mounting to a substrate. We normally mount on Coroplast and Magnetic. We ordered 6mil and didn't have the issue, but it seems that everyone and their mother use the 3.4 mil, so it has to be something we are doing. Perhaps the technique on mount.

Now i'm suspecting our laminator, which is a Seal 44 Ultra. Could be "out of ballance" according to Seal, and i'm looking to spend some time adjusting it. Process is complex so i'm a bit afraid i'll screw it up more.

I should note that the vinyl is not laminated, just mounting is our issue. Not 100% but the bubbles seem to develop in the non printed areas. Cold mount, would heating help?

Could it be our technique? Mamaki? Laminator? Anyone having issues with bubbles?

Any helpful adice or tips would greatly help!

Thanks.

-Dice

Flame

1. Start using laminate.

2. Unless you are running LARGE runs, by hand is often best for application.

3. If you're going by the book when using a laminator, and it's still bubbly, could be not enough pressure or unever roller pressure.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
1. Start using laminate.

2. Unless you are running LARGE runs, by hand is often best for application.

3. If you're going by the book when using a laminator, and it's still bubbly, could be not enough pressure or unever roller pressure.

wow, i didn't catch on to that one..i thought he WAS applying by hand:covereyes:

Dice

Some of the magnetics are quite large. 24" x 60"(+) so mounting by hand isn't real efficient. Maybe unless we use that Big Squeegee? We've seen it but can't believe that it's better, faster than mounting with a laminator?

We Usually Mount after about 1-2 hours after print. Sometimes 24 hours, depending on our volume for the day. So i would have to say Dry.

When mounting on Coro, flutes are down to the direction of the roll (normally) does that matter?

We've tried a new technique where we use a flat metal ruler and apply the starting edge to it before starting the mount. We are getting better results with this now which leads me to believe that we are getting air somehow trapped in our initial mount. Most of the bubbles are in the first few inches.

Trying to find a solution so we don't always have to laminate as this slows us down and increases our costs.

I'm thinking it's an issue with our mounting style and possible issues with the laminator.

We've looked it over and there are "rips" in the roller. We bought it used so it's about 3-4 years old.

Flame

Yeah......... rips are BAD!

I'd suggest trying more media. Once printed and ready, I can make 15 2x6 signs an hour using digital prints. Clean, apply, trim, NEXT! Just hands, tape and squeegees. I never use the laminator for applying, personal preference of course, but I don't like it.

Dice

No problems laminating. The rips are small. And we never had issues on the AQ media, just the new solvent material.

We are getting a new Seal 63 Base, to hopefully solve this issue plus the laminator has become a bottle neck because we mount and laminate with it.

What Squeegee do you use? Our laminator broke down last week and had to hand apply. Real fun on a 24" x 120" magnetic. Took two of us to do it and you can see streaks on the material from the hard pressing with a small squeegee. Not our best work.

Apparently we suck at hand mounting or we are using the wrong tools.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
why are you making 10ft magnets??? and if you hinge from the center, that could easily be done by one person.....

Bigdawg

Just Me
Use a felt squeegee on a color print (or I do anyway).

And 2' x 10' is a little longer then I like to lay down with one person. So much easier if someone is holding the other end...

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
Use a felt squeegee on a color print (or I do anyway)

if you don't have a felt squeegee, you can use 4in app tape and wrap the squeegee a couple times...just make sure that once it starts to tear a little, you pull off a layer....this is what i do

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Some of the magnetics are quite large. 24" x 60"(+) so mounting by hand isn't real efficient. Maybe unless we use that Big Squeegee? We've seen it but can't believe that it's better, faster than mounting with a laminator?...
It takes about 1-3 minutes to set up and mount a print that size with the Big Squeegee. Is that as fast as your laminator?