• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bubbles

Image signs

Im trying to layer a decal together its only text and when i do i keep getting small air bubbles any ideas would be great.
:thankyou:

Image signs

Im not sure i would be able to do that because it would be hard to see to layer them. What im doing is making an 18"x64" strip of vinly across the window then applying the logos to that.

J

john1

The transfer tape while wet allow you to see through it. Pretty basic honestly.

SignProPlus-Chip

Or set up your decals with registration, or cut all of your mask to the same size, with the layer registered within that size. Then you just line up the edges of the mask with tape on the window. This way you can put it up in seconds.

Also, as previously mentioned mask become more translucent when wet. With the right app fluid you can float the graphic, move it into place while seeing through the mask, the squeegee it down with no bubbles.

DizzyMarkus

Is the customer picking it up to install themselves?

If NOT use reggy marks and layer on substrate-- lol only peel around reggy marks until taped hinged where ya want it :0)

Markus

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Im not sure i would be able to do that because it would be hard to see to layer them. What im doing is making an 18"x64" strip of vinly across the window then applying the logos to that.

So? apply the strip and then apply whatever you have on top of it. It's not rocket surgery. Pay no attention to the do it wet or do it dry crowd. Do it however you are comfortable. If that would be wet then try to advance beyond that stage in your development sometime soon.

Bubbles? Bubbles are almost always the result of bad squeegee technique. Either through not paying attention or not knowing any better. Proper squeegee technique has be covered extensively in these waters, try a search.

Registration? Do as someone previously mentioned; Put a bounding rectangle around the entire image and cut that rectangle with each layer. Mask all the layers and cut the masked image to the bounding rectangle. Each masked layer should be exactly the same size. Position the first layer and mark a four edges of the mask with tape or marker or snot or whatever. Register subsequent layers to those marks. Again not rocket surgery.

Not needing registration? Then you're really not doing layers, you're just applying vinyl where the substrate just happens to be vinyl.

wraprat

I never do layers but have been sent layered vinyl for install. After the anger subsides I apply the vinyl with a felt squeege and hope for the best

DizzyMarkus

signgirl please explain lol -- this has happened to me on many occasions and I as always try to becareful careful. They are always around the edges

Markus

skyhigh

The transfer tape while wet allow you to see through it. Pretty basic honestly.

True most of the time, although sometimes that can be difficult with certain color combinations. I do this a lot though. Vinyl on vinyl (wet) sticks really well, and seldom traps any water.

Someone mentioned clear transfer tape. Problem is, you still have the backer paper (unless you're using 3m 7725 series, with the clear backer). And you can't do wet using the clear (possibly that has changed over the years, or they reinvented the clear?). I tried the clear when it first came out, and hated it.....so maybe I don't know the tricks to using it.

I do the registration mark method, or wet.....or both.
As everyone else has mentioned......you can't apply pre-layered vinyls without a bunch of air pockets.

haidenmorgan

No more bubbles or complaints.

dont layer it until you install it. then apply the layers wet.

Welcome to Signs101!

Best advice is right there bud. After years of experience, just do it the nice and hard way and you get the nice and awesome results you want. No more bubble poking, heating, none of that crap. Use registration marks and an application fluid, good quality tape and vinyl helps here too.

Choice of vinyl: CAST, why? Calendered vinyl is just going to disappoint your customers. All it takes is a quick explanation of the benefits of cast vs. cal (call your supplier for that if YOU DONT KNOW YOU SHOULD KNOW).

Choice of app fluid: 1 tsp CHEAP baby shampoo:1/2 Gal Distilled Water.

Squeegee HARD and clean and prep your surface with dial soap/water/scrubber if DIRTY, then follow with water rinse, then a good 1-2 91% isopropyl alcohol passes with microfiber and you should be fine my friend.