Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help New Product Opinion Bucket Truck Evaluation

Discussion in 'Installation Equipment & Techniques' started by Stallion Signs, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Stallion Signs

Stallion Signs New Member

Nov 6, 2019
    Texas
    Hi All!

Just wanted to take a quick second to introduce myself - I just started a sign business in Texas.

I am looking at a few different bucket trucks to purchase, and one has caught my eye.

It is a Wilkie 52XLR mounted on a 2013 Ford F550 with about 110,000 miles on it.

1) Is this a good/reliable truck & bucket
    2) What sort of questions do I need to ask the seller
    3) What information MUST I have before deciding either for or against the purchase
    4) What do I need to inspect on the truck and lift before making my purchase decision.

I am sure I must have missed a few questions so feel free to provide me with any and all information on this subject.

Thanks for all the help!

2. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Call Wilkie, ask for Darrel or Brian. They will tell you everything about the truck, and possibly that truck. They helped us replace outriggers on our 101, over the phone. We replaced the deck at the same time, and needed to re-torque the bolts at the base of the crane. I called Brian and asked him, he thought for a half second and gave me the ft/lbs off the top of his head. Great folks.

3. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Also that thing lifts over 2k lbs, if I'm not mistaken, which will require a crane operators license, and possibly a cdl?

4. Z SIGNS

Z SIGNS Very Active Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Trenton NJ
    I'm not an expert but here is my short version.I always found they are a combination of a few things.
    Mostly the chassi,truck,unit and how it's been maintained. Look the truck over.
    Common sense should give you most of the answers.You must have a reliable truck.
    The lift..look at the hydraulics.What do the hoses look like? Any signs of leaking cylinders?Any oil in sight?
    Take it for a test flight.
    There is quite a bit more to owning bucket truck.
    Good luck on your purchase
    Be safe with that new toy.