• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

budget for buying fonts

routierracing

After seeing some of the fonts out there its become obvious to me that I need to invest in some quality ones as my business grows.

My question is how do you all usually budget for fonts and other forms of artwork? Do you buy it on a per job basis? (seems like it would be easy to cancel out your profits) or do you create a budget and buy the most profitable items?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I think both approaches are valid. Buying a group of fonts based on believing that they will improve your business is not different then buying a plotter or a printer. I think for many it isn't something that comes out of a budget. Rather, it comes out of discretionary spending funds when you've had a good month or a great day.

Buying a single font when you are "at need" isn't budgetary at all. Like purchasing a stock image or any other art resource needed for a particular job, it is charged against the job, added to the quote and the client is paying for it.

royster13

My goal is 1% of revenue for clipart, fonts, etc....But most of the time I am way behind in actually spending any money....

signswi

I think both approaches are valid. Buying a group of fonts based on believing that they will improve your business is not different then buying a plotter or a printer. I think for many it isn't something that comes out of a budget. Rather, it comes out of discretionary spending funds when you've had a good month or a great day.

Buying a single font when you are "at need" isn't budgetary at all. Like purchasing a stock image or any other art resource needed for a particular job, it is charged against the job, added to the quote and the client is paying for it.

Spot on. Bulk up when you can, buy for specific jobs when needed and charge the client.

If you want a huge library of quality fonts there's the Adobe Font Folio collection (at a hefty price), if you're looking for fonts that are sign industry specific hit up A&S and letterheadfonts.

HulkSmash

Good point Fred.

If you buy one Vehicle Template. It's around 50 bucks. If you buy all of them in a package .. its 200-400. No brainier there.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I've been seeing a therapist about my font addiction. Without a font fix, I get cranky.

blondie.gif
And the last font you bought was in March of 2006 ... which explains a lot.

dog42.gif