• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Builders ugghh!

visual800

I have mentioned I dropped builders a while back and it really made life easier. however a friends wife that is a project manager called upon me to bid a small (but lucrative) job. Simple bronze letters on brick, aluminum letters on canopy and a few ada interior signs, I agreed since she was project manager, and bid it.

this was back in Oct and signs were scheduled to go up between Christmas and New Years. I agreed no problem. I called her yesterday and informed i would be there Wednesday next week to install. She said they are now running 2 months behind and it would be Feb before I could install (no shock)

I told her I needed to get paid for the materials as I did as I was told and produced signage. She agreed and sent forms over for me to fill out for total of materials. I had to send pics of all signs that were completed and the forms filled out, sent back and now she says builder wants to store signs in his construction trailer, I refused. I know what going to happen to these signs if he stores them, they will be scratched, bent and torn up and then I will have to deal with that in Feb. causing more undue stress over this

I made one exception and Im already regretting it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's always something.

I agree, they'll be ruined til the time comes to put them up, but I guess they feel, if they paid for them, they at least wanna touch them and make sure you're telling the truth.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
I either collect a deposit covering materials cost or set up a payment schedule detailing what gets paid when. If the project gets delayed, I still collect on the agreed upon schedule for completed work and materials cost.

I also go over the payment process and determine what the client will need in order to pay me (proof of insurance, license information, drug testing requirements, safety certifications, contact information and any vendor forms or submittal requirements). I do this before I accept the contract and before I start work or order anything. It's all part of the contract bundle. Nobody needs surprises.

As far as storing the signs, that's your call. If you need the space you might consider it, although I would hold on to them until you can install them per contract. If you do release the materials to the client, make sure you prepare documentation declaring transfer of ownership and liability. The client should inspect the goods and sign off on it.

Keep in mind I will typically proceed in this fashion if the client is a contractor. This is the world they live in, and many construction jobs will end up being settled in arbitration or in court. It pays to have proper documentation. For regular business owners, this approach may be overkill, and a one-page contract may suffice.

CanuckSigns

I've done this before, just have the contractor sign a packing slip saying the signs were received in good order, if there are any damages to them it's on them. One of our larger clients is a contractor, we do tons of interior ADA signs for them (supply only, no install) there have been a few times the signs have gotten damaged or gone missing completely, and it's never even been considered our fault. one time the guy sweping up the job site threw a box of signs into the dumpster thinking it was a box of garbage, apparently the look on his face when he was told it was actually about $4500 worth of product was almost worth it.

Sindex Printing

I would personally make them sign off that if they become damaged in any way then they are responsible for any delays and costs that it may cause including replacement if needed.

32 years in and a photo is the answer. Thank God for technology! Take the signs there, photograph them in that location, with the phone. It should time stamp and show the location. The install day the photos will prove what you dropped off was perfect before the did or didn't negatively affected your work. Also download the photos to a hard drive, as a backup. Drawback is download may not maintain same time stamp. Do it same day you take photos.

rossmosh

Bring them into your facility. Have them inspect and sign off. Receive payment. Package the stuff up. Send them on their way.

Tell them you strongly advise to leave the items boxed up so that they are in mint condition when it's time to install or otherwise they'll be looking at delays and additional costs.

As long as you get paid and the stuff signed off on, I don't see the big issue. If the install becomes an issue, just walk away from that part of the job.