• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Building a backer panel w acm

Signs.from.god

Good day folks.

Looking for guidance on building a backer panel for halo lit channel letters. Size is 13x3.5’

I’ve only built 2 of these in my life and last time I used .063 mill finished aluminum supported by aluminum angle all around and uprights. I had the sheets sheered and bent using a brake.

Now I am looking at using metal max acm as it’s less than half the price. Only issue is I’m wondering how I’d groove the acm to bend it was thinking of using a handheld router with a v groove tip but I am worried it may not go as planned. And even if I get it grooved right not sure if I’d be able to bend 6.5’ easily with no issues by hand.

Anyone had experience building backers out of acm ? If so what can you suggest .

TIA

DL Signs

Never go against the family
You can do it that way... Use a guide clamped to it to keep your groove straight when you route it, try to get it slightly over 90 degrees to account for spring-back when you bend it and still have a 90. Best to bend it with a brake, but you can probably get creative enough and bend it without one. I suggest using some scrap and practice first to get your groove depth right and see how it bends. Leave a little composite, don't cut all the way to, or into the back aluminum panel.

Attachments

• bending ACM.jpg
    bending ACM.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 84

GimmeLiberty

I've had several of these built in HALO reverse illuminated applications over the last ten or so years. We used .080 or .090 gauge aluminum sheered and braked with 2" or 3" returns and the letters mounted 2" off surface, You can install the power supplies inside the backing. Pre-mounting the letters/logo to the backing while in the shop makes for a much quicker and smoother installation in the field. I.e., it's all in one piece verses several pieces and multiple penetrations through the wall. The landlord will appreciate this as well. Less wear and tear on the building.

Signs.from.god

I've had several of these built in HALO reverse illuminated applications over the last ten or so years. We used .080 or .090 gauge aluminum sheered and braked with 2" or 3" returns and the letters mounted 2" off surface, You can install the power supplies inside the backing. Pre-mounting the letters/logo to the backing while in the shop makes for a much quicker and smoother installation in the field. I.e., it's all in one piece verses several pieces and multiple penetrations through the wall. The landlord will appreciate this as well. Less wear and tear on the building.
I hear ya, I like doing everything in the shop as well that’s why I got the customer to go with a backer for this job. Do you need up right support with a .080 gauge? Or is it thick enough to hold up straight. I used .063 last job which was pretty good. Also how do you feel about using vinyl on the mill finished aluminum after sanding it down and cleaning it with Degreasers and 99% iso ? I’ve done one interior sign with vinyl which was ok but for outdoor the customer wants matte black so I didn’t know what route I’d take other than a cast vinyl

Cheers