• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Building a cube out of 1/2" Foam Board

Andrew Hodgson

Hello, has anyone built a cube out of 1/2" Foam Board? The cube could be any size up to 4'x4'. My plan is to print directly onto foam board and connect the sides to make a cube. I am not sure the best way to go about that. Should I be looking into printing onto cardboard or building the cubes out of melamine instead?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We've built some pretty funky structures over the years, but I can't say we've ever made 4x4 cubes.

What's the intended application/lifespan?

If it's for a temporary event and not going to handled/touched much, you could use 1/2" gator foam and cut the edges w/ a 45 bit/saw, and add internal braces to hold it all together.

Andrew Hodgson

We've built some pretty funky structures over the years, but I can't say we've ever made 4x4 cubes.

What's the intended application/lifespan?

If it's for a temporary event and not going to handled/touched much, you could use 1/2" gator foam and cut the edges w/ a 45 bit/saw, and add internal braces to hold it all together.

The cubes can be smaller. Generally, we would stack the cubes for trade shows. Each time they are made, it would be a one time use. I was thinking about cutting the egdes using a 45 degree saw. I wonder if there are right angle plastic things that can be stuck into each side of the cube.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
The cubes can be smaller. Generally, we would stack the cubes for trade shows. Each time they are made, it would be a one time use. I was thinking about cutting the egdes using a 45 degree saw. I wonder if there are right angle plastic things that can be stuck into each side of the cube.
I just searched self-adhesive corner guards... is this what you were thinking of?
self adhesive corner guards

Signarama Jockey

Interesting project. For a one time use deal, do you really need to do all of the faces of the cube? I did a quick search and I found some general ideas.

Is there a way you can make what you're thinking about, but with less material and less fuss?

HERO_IMAGE_SSC.jpg
Untitledss.jpg

netsol

outwater plastics

netsol

Easier with Coro, and one of those knife tools that will cut 1side following the flutes & bend to a right angle
attach the 2 missing sides of the cube with “f channel” from outwater plastics.