• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Building a sign box with VHB tape

player

As I said before, they are using it to put airplanes together instead of riveting. As well as tractor trailer boxes. Don't worry about the tape giving out on a sign at the airport, worry about the wings falling off it the tape fails.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This certainly deserves some more research and looking in to the various tapes.

Again, I would not do it, but that could very easily be old school. I had a few of 3M's stronger than f*ck tape examples in our shop. The most aggressive one being aluminum to aluminum tape...... just for this application. After a coupla years, we were able to pull the two apart. It was still strong, but nothing I would ever consider using in place of physical fasteners. I still remember the two 3M representatives coming into the shop with these samples and telling me there was no way we could ever pull them apart. When I called back to tell them it failed, both guys were gone.

I still believe in VHB for many many situations, but a sign cabinet with expansion and contraction, internal heat, exterior elements, wind force, freezing elements getting in every nook & cranny...... I'll give it a try for the gipper and see what we come up with.

To be continued. :wink:

player

I recall the VHB was not to be used exclusively, but there was a dramatic reduction of rivets; bolts and/or welds required to keep the sign structurally intact.