• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Building new Shop. Any Suggestions?

signage

i am a draftsman by trade and training and worked at building metal building in caribou maine. i do know a little bout building in cold climates. most of the buildings we built had to have a footer at 7 foot and concrete walls to ground level because of the frost depth in that part of the country. also insulation was a big part of any building there because of the cold and length of winter. here in florida, all i had to do was a a perimeter footer 10-12" and poured the floor and footer as one unit. here its not foundation depth or roof loading under 5-7 feet of wet snow...we have to build to wind load of 140 MPH!!!!!!!!
this is where i got mine, but you can find same type of company closer.
http://www.steelbuilding.com/

OP when was the last time you did drafting for your pay? I thought you were a sign painter:rolleyes:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
OP when was the last time you did drafting for your pay? I thought you were a sign painter:rolleyes:
I think he gave it up when a guy named Noah didn't want to pay a rush charge on some last minute boat plans.....

wayne k
guam usa

Speedsterbeast

Ok, so never accuse me of asking for advice here and not taking it seriously.
After some obsessive thinking and evaluating, I decided to build bigger.
I'm going with a 30 X 40 instead of the 28 X 34. Still using a 10' ceiling, but going with a 14' door and a wider man door.
Also putting a washroom in, and putting in a "lounge area" that can easily be changed to another office if I expand to another employee, or more equipment.
The walls around the desk area will only be 4' or so high, more of a divider, and the pine laminate flooring will be raised on 2X4s and 5/8 plywood decking.
The panel saw will be an acm cutter or blade. No dusty saw cuts in my shop. And If I need to I will do it outside.
Although a vehicle won't be in the shop most of the time, I could squeeze two in if I absoloutley had to.

Thanks for all the input.
I'll keep you all updated with photos as I go.
Now I just need some damn warm weather to start.

Attachments

• Garage Layout.jpg-2.jpg
    Garage Layout.jpg-2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 165

slappy

Your garage diagram looks like it's only housing a small car or suv..... just a thought say you get a.........

contractor with a crew cab vehicle with a long bed? (3/4tons and 1tons) are about 22' long. Then you have the hitch and trucks with brush guards making them longer nose to tail. 14" is great for the door, especially if your pulling in a dually with elephant ear mirrors, but if you only have 24' in that garage, your going to be touching something trying to close the door when it's cold if you have something that size in there.
then there are cargo vans with extended wheelbases... You probably want to fit that in also.
and say maybe a boat?

I think you may want to go a tad longer so you can walk comfortably around those types.... just a suggestion.

OldPaint

10 ft ceiling and a 14 ft tall door? hummmmmmmm my 12 ft sectional overhead door is on a 14 ft end wall, so there is 2 ft above the door for its hardware when its in the open position.
as for me, and my drafting skills, sorta like riding a bike, ONCE YOU DO IT, YOU NEVER FORGET)))) oh and by the way i can also repair your jag, MG, triumph, Mercedes, volvo and mostly any american make)))) i also build computer, and repair them..... and teach you TIA CHI or how to throw pottery........anything else you would like to know????

OldPaint

originally we was talking HIGHT ......double car garage door is wide: 16', single is 8', commercial doors are usually 10' then 12'. my 10 foot wide door will fit most anything on the road. `10 ft wide i can put a stock car on the trailer thru it.

Speedsterbeast

Your garage diagram looks like it's only housing a small car or suv..... just a thought say you get a.........

contractor with a crew cab vehicle with a long bed? (3/4tons and 1tons) are about 22' long. Then you have the hitch and trucks with brush guards making them longer nose to tail. 14" is great for the door, especially if your pulling in a dually with elephant ear mirrors, but if you only have 24' in that garage, your going to be touching something trying to close the door when it's cold if you have something that size in there.
then there are cargo vans with extended wheelbases... You probably want to fit that in also.
and say maybe a boat?

I think you may want to go a tad longer so you can walk comfortably around those types.... just a suggestion.

And how many of those have I done in two years? -None
If I do get one, I'll manage.
I can have it overhang the wood floor if needed.
There's an old saying about buidling model airplanes.
Build them to fly- not to crash
You don't have to make everything for the worst case scenario.
Thanks for the input

Centro Graphics

Nice project to build your own workspace at home.

Some of the advice here is good on dust and space around machines etc, but only you know what will really work for you.

I like your idea of the work you have is good for you and you make a decent living, fair play, I have been down the road of reach for the stars, massive overheads etc, but since the monster recession, cut back by over 60% on costs. Back to working on my own and just calling in day rate help instead when needed. Much happier and can do as much or little as I want, and sometimes the luxury of picking, or dumping jobs.

Stay the way you like it, take the advice of maximising your new building to suit your needs.

I just moved into a new place just two months ago, it has no indoor facility for vehicles, no biggie. Its on a main road but very country-fied, its only 21ft x 15ft workshop plus 12 ft x 12ft office in one corner but I like it a lot, still work in progress though.

Good luck Im sure you will be happy with it when finished.

slappy

And how many of those have I done in two years? -None
If I do get one, I'll manage.
I can have it overhang the wood floor if needed.
There's an old saying about buidling model airplanes.
Build them to fly- not to crash
You don't have to make everything for the worst case scenario.
Thanks for the input

Just wanted to bring it up cause we goofed when we built ours and now adding on again. Tight squeeze bringing in some vehicles:rolleyes:

danky01

Hey Speedsterbeast

I want to throw my two cents worth in on this one. THINK LONG AND HARD before you hire an employee!!! I just closed my shop and moved everything back home. I had a store front with 2000 square feet and 5 employees. I was in that shop for 7 years. I was doing great for the first 5 years, we were busy all the time. I wasn't getting rich, but was making a good living. The real thing that killed me was having employees. Wages, payroll tax, workers comp, and all the other bull that goes with it will put you out of business FAST!! I have been self-employed for the last 20 years, most of that time was working alone and from home. I am going to work alone and do what i can and **** on the rest, let the guy down the street with 15 employees do the rest. I will take the cream off the top and leave the rest for him. I make more money working alone than I ever made with employees. If I ever have a store front again, it will be a VERY small showroom and do production at home.

Now I can already feel the stones from those guys that always talk about growing your business, but it all depends on what you want to do with your business. I just want to make a good living, I have no desire to become a millionaire. That would just bring another load of headaches. I guess I should also say, I have everything paid for and don't have to worry about making monthly payments etc. I just have to pay the utilities and buy a few groceries and I am set. I figured cost last week and I have to make 6.13 per hour based on a 40 hour work week to break even, compared to about 10 times that amount 3 years ago. Talk about reducing the stress!!!! I would love to have that shop in my backyard, oh but then I would have to worry about paying for it. On second though, I will wait until I can pay cash for it.

My point is, before you do anything, decided where you want to go with your business and then plan toward that goal. The only reason I even posted is because you sounded a lot like me in some of the things you posted.

Ok I guess that is a little more than my two cents worth.

Hey Brain I love your quotes.