• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Building Wraps...anyone done them...

DucatiDave

And just so we are on the same page...by building wraps, I mean high-rise wraps. I have a customer that wants to wrap a large building in NYC. I have some info on the topic, but wondered if anyone else has sold, licensed, permitted, installed, removed or gone about finding a building to actually put the wrap on. Any helpful hints will be greatly appreciated.

B-RAD Graphics

I am finishing wrapping a building now.

Has been a nightmare the twp. came in and shut me down.

We were prepared but got held up in court for almost a year.

It is kinda crazy..they said I we were making the whole building a sign..

But basically the building existed and is metal. It sits off a main road behind another building.

We were giving it a new fresh look but added some details to create and overall going green feel.

and I had to defend the fact of people paint buildings crazy colors all the time. Well maybe not in some towns..but here there are...

Also I kept the type on panels where the names were before.

It all comes down to you can only cover a building with a certain percentage/sqft of type. Once I broke it down and showed them that I was close to there %..and with lawyers doing everything in there power.

We actually ended up creating our own varience..since they could not figure out what to do.

It was long road but we got somewhere and its approved.

Just make sure you get the approvals..I have seen a ton in magazines seems like most of them are temporary ..

As far as building files...I just broke it down into sections..files get HUGE fast. or you better have a mean machine.

Good Luck!!:peace!:

blueben

I would like to see pix as well when you are done. I was asked once to wrap a metal roof but the city denied it because the city does not allow "signs" to be flat on the roof. All the client wanted was camo on a metal roof of his garage in the backyard.

B-RAD Graphics

my masterpiece..lol..:banghead:

Attachments

• carwash1.jpg
    carwash1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 89

B-RAD Graphics

:thankyou: alot of blood sweat and tears went into this job..as soon as this is finished on to another ..:doh:..should go much smoother. Put in for all permits way ahead this time.

MikePro

kinda stinks that you don't need a permit to put a fresh coat of paint on your building, but the second any sort of graphics are involved... then suddenly it becomes a sign permit issue? wtf?

blueben

That Looks awesome!!! I would love to approach one of the car washes here with this idea. Not sure what the city will say.

kinda stinks that you don't need a permit to put a fresh coat of paint on your building, but the second any sort of graphics are involved... then suddenly it becomes a sign permit issue? wtf?

Here if you paint the building the same color, no permits are needed. Two or more colors, you have to submit the layout of color and hope it fits within the color ordinance of the area. Then permits are required.

B-RAD Graphics

..u have no idea..they tried making peel the wrap off!! We stuck to our guns..thankfully my client was prepared to battle this with HIGH PAYED LAWYERS..funny how this system works. This world is corrupt...what happen to the days of painting on old barns for advertisment...now you have to buck up!!! All about the $$$$ :wavingflag: