• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

BUILT NEW RIP/Now need help

Fuzzbuster

OK Guys
I know it weekend but anyway........

I built this new rip station and all it will do is run the printers
Computer working but
I`m having a hardware problem

Not that what i purchased matters but here it is anyway

Antec case
Asus p5Q PRO board
4G of OCZ 800mhz SLI memory(2X 2G)
Intel Core2 quad q9450 processor with a artic cooler freezer
Pny 8800gts video card(toomuch card for a rip but it was on sale)
1X 300G , 10000rpm VELOCIRAPTOR drive as my main drive(cause onyx wont support RAID)
2X 750G, 7500rpm Seagates for storage
DVD...and all that stuff

Heres my problem

Loaded XP PRO and formated the main drive evrythings ok
Loaded all the asus drivers
Now XP`s not/never recognizing the 2X seagates...(pluged into sata ports on asus)
I can see them in the BIOS and the device manager but CANT access them and or format them . When i go to" add new hardware "its saying that there working properly... any ideas???

Thanx for the help in advance

PS tryied unpluging them and repluging + restart to no avail

Last edited:

pacmn

Try this

right-click on (My Computer) select manage , Disc Management , it shoud give you more info on the drives you have connected, and status , ect

Hope this helps

Fuzzbuster

OK

Just tryed the drive manager(hadn`t done that but shows nothing on those 2 seagates only shows the 1X Velociraptor and it seems also a partition?

DEVICE MANAGER on the other hand shows all 3 drives

WTF?????

pacmn

I would check in BIOS to see if the drives are set IDE or SATA, Which ever apply's for the drives

SignBurst PCs

1X 300G , 10000rpm VELOCIRAPTOR drive as my main drive(cause onyx wont support RAID)

Not exactly true.... have MANY systems running Onyx on RAID, and it does make a difference. (i.e. SignBurst Inferno™ RIP Edition).

As for your drives, if Device Manager shows them, they should show up in Disk Management (although they may need to be "initialized"). If they are not initialized, when you click on Disk Management, a wizard should immediately pop up asking you to do so.

If they do not immediately show up, right-click "Disk Management" and then click "rescan disks" and see if they show up.

If they are already initialized, they may show up as "unallocated" space. If so, right-click the unallocated space and then click format and follow the prompts (if they are empty drives).

I am guessing that the BIOS is not the root cause here simply due to the fact that they show up in Device Manager, but that is not a 100% guarantee.

I hope that this helps. If not, feel free to PM me if I can be of any assistance.

eforer

Windows xp has no native support for ahci, in your bios use legacy ide mode for sata drives. You can usually find ahci drivers for most boards. This is a common problem in new laptops that ship with vista and are then rolled back to xp, ask me how I know :)

Fuzzbuster

Not exactly true.... have MANY systems running Onyx on RAID, and it does make a difference. (i.e. SignBurst Inferno™ RIP Edition).

As for your drives, if Device Manager shows them, they should show up in Disk Management (although they may need to be "initialized"). If they are not initialized, when you click on Disk Management, a wizard should immediately pop up asking you to do so.

If they do not immediately show up, right-click "Disk Management" and then click "rescan disks" and see if they show up.

If they are already initialized, they may show up as "unallocated" space. If so, right-click the unallocated space and then click format and follow the prompts (if they are empty drives).

I am guessing that the BIOS is not the root cause here simply due to the fact that they show up in Device Manager, but that is not a 100% guarantee.

I hope that this helps. If not, feel free to PM me if I can be of any assistance.

Formated drives(From signburst suggestion)

Everything now OK

And NO
ONYX does not offer customer support on raid set up...according to them anyway????

Thanx for all the replies:thumb:

GK

This is partially true. XP w/ SP1 did not have support with it however support for AHCI has been available since SP2 and everyone really should be running that by now.

GK

Formated drives(From signburst suggestion)

Everything now OK

And NO
ONYX does not offer customer support on raid set up...

Yeah they didn't want to help us out on that either, it will work though provided you have some basic knowledge of RAID (if you are doing the setup) they also don't support Server 2003 but it will work on that as well with some tweaking.

Capital Signs

Have you used the Seagate cd to install the drives? Sometimes western digitals do that and once you install with disk it works.

P

ProWraps™

i said this before. take one part coors light, one part computer, one part lighter fluid.
drink coors light. throw lighter fluid on computle. light. stand back. drink coors light. problem solved.

SignBurst PCs

I think that we got this one figured out. He followed the above instructions and every worked fine.

Most new drives need to be initialized and formatted before they show up in My Computer and can be used.