• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bulk ink issue, maybe?

Artworks

Artworks
I have a Roland XC-540 and my Light magenta and Light Cyan colors are not printing clean test prints. I have cleaned the heads in every way I know including soaking and purging etc. I have to note that i have those two colors set up with bulk ink and none of the other colors. Can it be that the chips in those tanks are not telling the printer to fire all the nozzles? No matter what I do, the test prints are coming out remarkably consistent.
I should also note that the dampeners, capping stations, wipers, have all recently been replaced as well. There is no air in the lines and the heads are getting a solid draw. The heads were soaked overnight in the capping stations with lint free cloth and solvent.
These tubs should work no differently than the cartridges, (hypothetically), So has anyone seen any differences? I was kinda hoping towards eventually having all of my inks set up with bulk. Just need some feedback if anyone else has encountered problems with them. Thanks in advance!

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
I have had to swab the head before(w/o moving the swab). Soak it and cover the head. Repeat until clean test print.

And yes I know the manual says it's a no no.

LarryB

Why would you ever have only 2 colors set up for bulk ink? I assume you are using aftermarket inks.

I made the mistake of using aftermarket inks on my XC540 and within a month had all types of issues. Switched back to OEM inks and have zero issues. The money I thought I was saving actually ended up costing me more money. I have had my machine for 6 years and it prints 8-10 hours a day. No worries of print issues. Only OEM ink for me.

Artworks

Artworks
@ HDvinyl :The service manual actually says swab and dab the head as last resort and that has been done already in this case as well...
@ ChicagoGraphics and LarryB, I actually had some of the OEM inks still in play on my black head and i was having issues with those too, as i slowly transisted into the 3rd party bordeaux inks. I'm thinking of switching back to OEM. Today i will swap out the ink tubs with some new OEM cartridges and see if it makes any difference.

TheSnowman

I run a mimaki, but I ran Bordeaux inks in it for years and never had issues. Ran it till I sold it, and started running Triangle inks right out of the gate in my new Mimaki JV33. I wouldn't always blame it on the inks.

Robert M

Tubs

How are you sending the bulk ink to the heads. If you are using refillable carts make sure you have them over half full, you may not be getting enough ink to the heads. Switch to all Bordeaux ink in cartridge form and see how you like it, then move on to their bulk bag system if you are running through that much ink.

Artworks

Artworks
I am running the bordeaux inks through the ink tubs that are refillable. Thing is the chip will always record those as being empty because you watch them visually and refill them as you go. I'm still trying to figure out why the printer doesn't stop printing while recording that those particular inks are empty. ITs getting to be more of a PIA than its worth, especially if I find that the ink tubs are causing printing issues.
I don't think its problem with the 3rd party inks. Of course Roland is going to adamantly protest the use of other inks. I truly believe that ALL of the inks come from the same dad-gum batch somewhere in China. for the most part, I've seen positive reviews from folks who use the third party inks.

Artworks

Artworks
OEM inks came in and I replaced the tubs for now. There is no change in the nozzle prints after several cleanings to flush out the old and bring in the new. I'm thinking for now it is not a 3rd party ink issue nor is it the bulk ink tubs causing the problems. Clogged heads. Going to try using the solving cartridges on Monday when they arrive to Flush the heads from the back end. I'd really hate to replace two heads because of clogged nozzles. I've done everything I know to clean them up to this point. Any out of the box, proven methods of cleaning the heads? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!