Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bull Crap of the day

Discussion in 'Flexi' started by gabagoo, Oct 28, 2020.

1. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    OK someone has to explain this to me. I am printing a load chart for a customer. Pretty detailed and it was completely redrawn in illustrator. Basically it is all black and white with one area of the chart that is in red with white knockout. I actually sent it out as bitmap so there would be no issues and I sent it at 1000 dpi...yes I know, overkill...and at 256 colours to keep the file smaller. The chart is about 18" x 18" . I bring it in, everything looks good and I send it to the Mimaki to print.
    It printed very nice except the area with red was completely missing, yet I can see it in the rip and print and it's a bitmap.

How?

Tags:
  2. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

The red doesn't match your contour cut color does it?

3. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    lol no contour cut is grey...besides..it's a bitmap...I have never seen something like this before

4. Evan Gillette

Evan Gillette Member

Dec 5, 2018
    MN
    Hmmm no idea on that one, are you bringing the bitmap straight into PM or into Flexi then rip and print?

5. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Pictures..... or it didn't happen. Screen shot of the monitor, one of the rip and the print out itself.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Evan Gillette

Evan Gillette Member

Dec 5, 2018
    MN
    I have had stuff show up on the PM preview and not print but it has always been vectors IIRC, I have also had stuff not show in the preview and then print just fine. I don't usually trust the PM preview much, especially for color previewing. Give us some better detail on workflow and file type if you have time.

7. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    How come you don't save it as a .pdf in Illustrator and send it to the RIP like that, if it was completely redrawn in Illustrator as you mentioned. Sounds like you have a Gabagoo (unknown problem).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. letterman7

letterman7 Very Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Had your output set to black and white maybe?

9. sardocs

sardocs Active Member

Jun 17, 2005
    pender harbour bc
    I am sorry i can't help with your printing issue, but your thread title sums up post #2 perfectly.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  10. TammieH

TammieH Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Pacific NW
    is the red on a non printable layer in Illustrator?

11. IsItFasst

IsItFasst Member

Jan 16, 2008
    USA
    Not sure I've had it happen with a bitmap but know I have had it with vectors where on very rare occasions one color doesn't print at all. Almost like when ripping it just forgets that color channel. But normally reprinting fixes it. Luckily these are few and far between (like once every 6 months to a year).

12. jfiscus

jfiscus Map Wraster

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    Never heard of that before with a raster image but I'm assuming maybe your rip only allows bitmaps with a certain color limit. I've never ever printed from a BMP except for separations during offset printing a long time ago... Maybe an alpha channel? IDK. Could also just be the rip processed it weird.

13. KatePhillips

KatePhillips Member

Jan 22, 2019
    Halifax NS
    Sometimes our RIP misses things, but it's usually transparencies or the like. It's at 100% opacity when saving, right? (not that it should matter with a .bmp...)

14. JetPress

JetPress Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Texas
    Only time I seen this happen is when there is an object that has "overprint" checked marked in Illustrator but that is with a file that hasn't been rasterized.

15. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Are you out of red ink?

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    Thanks for all your input... This was just a normal vector drawing. The reason I converted to a tif file was that Flexi did not like some of the stroke data when it was sent across as an eps and some lines were missing, so to be safe I figured a bitmap would take care of those issues. The rip definately showed the red and it was solid. I don't monkey around with the settings in the rip too much so it was basically the same settings I would send any file. I'm going to call Flexi and find out how such a thing is possible.

17. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Well, this yes yesterday's problem... what is today's Gagaboo problem of the day?

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  18. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    :roflmao:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    Why even mess with Flexi, garbage in garbage out, just save your Illustrator files as a .pdf or .eps if your so inclined and send to RIP.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Perhaps the red you filled the area with was not included in the 256 colors? Or was the rip set to treat the image as a b/w bmp?